Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #1

Share |

Shingles coming off, someone opine please!

Hello everyone,

I am looking for an opinion from some one here. I recently just bought this house and have noticed on the roof
that some of the shingles have come off. I have posted pictures here for you to see. Do you think I need to
have these spots patched up or do you think I should be okay? I was going to call someone to come in and patch
up those spots but am just wondering if it is necessary or not.

Also my chimney and there are some other places around my house that the wood is rotting. I was told just to put
some paint on it to protect it. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mikey0124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Missing tabs along the wall and chimney, gaps in the trim board, sub flashing running into the trim board on the outer-bottom corner so probably allowing water to run down the wall behind the siding.

For sure need some one to take a look..

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
43 years in construction

Have a reputable roofer replace, not patch, the broken shingles.

Replace the rotted wood. Painting will not prevent further damage.

The reason your wood is rotting is that the siding and trim are too close to the roof surface. All siding and trim should stop 3" to 6" above the shingle surface with properly sized galvanized sheet metal flashing.

The roof, upslope of the chimney, would have been better with a framed cricket to divert the water. Sheet metal crickets are also available. The galvanized flashing connection at the uphill/outside corners still leaves a point of water entry. This connection should be soldered not caulked.

Rick
Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexas View Post
Have a reputable roofer replace, not patch, the broken shingles.

Replace the rotted wood. Painting will not prevent further damage.

The reason your wood is rotting is that the siding and trim are too close to the roof surface. All siding and trim should stop 3" to 6" above the shingle surface with properly sized galvanized sheet metal flashing.

The roof, upslope of the chimney, would have been better with a framed cricket to divert the water. Sheet metal crickets are also available. The galvanized flashing connection at the uphill/outside corners still leaves a point of water entry. This connection should be soldered not caulked.

Rick
I completely agree with you on the cricket.

Holding the siding up 3-6 is a bit much IMO and have never seen anyone that Ive known do that.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
43 years in construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Holding the siding up 3-6 is a bit much IMO and have never seen anyone that Ive known do that.
Admittedly I deal mainly in commercial construction where 6" to 8" clear is standard. In residential construction 0" seems to be all too common and consequently you see a lot of deterioration where wood meets roof. In a heavy rain, flowing water can pile up at vertical surfaces especially in cases like this chimney. The wood is typically unpainted at the underside and soaks the water up like a sponge especially where the end grain is exposed. Results... decay. The 3" to 6" is my personal standard for residential applications. Others have differing opinions.

Rick
Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #6

I certainly agree with all the others who have stated that you have to repair any rotten areas and replace the shingles where there are missing or improperly attached shingles. If you would like a uniform look to the roof after you've completed the repairs you might consider our product.

unishield is offline   Reply With Quote