Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Share |

Shingles Buckling

This spring I noticed the shingles on one part of my roof, on my rancher, appear to be buckling. The roof is about 12 years old. I cannot see anything wrong from inside the attic, no evidence of sheathing problems. Should I just keep an eye on them, or do I need to have them fixed? There is no leakage.

As to ventilation, I have soffit vents and a power attic fan.

Two photos:

Thanks!

Last edited by daveplot; 05-22-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: adding info about ventilation
daveplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #2

Shingles Buckling

Who installed the shingles?

mikeyz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Shingles Buckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyz43 View Post
Who installed the shingles?
Previous homeowner had it done, he wasn't a DIY type person, so i'm going to assume it was a professional job.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #4

Shingles Buckling

Sorry to say it doesn't look professional. Looks like he just put them up in no general order.
mikeyz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #5

Shingles Buckling

Do you know who manufactured the shingles?

RF
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #6

Shingles Buckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Do you know who manufactured the shingles?

RF
I have a few spare shingles... looked on the back and they are Tamko Heritage #0193

http://www.tamko.com/ResidentialRoof...phalt/Heritage
Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Shingles Buckling

Interesting that they are all buckling in the same place... Are those all edges of the shingles? It doesn't look like. It's gotta be soemthing sheathing or structural related.

I would have a licensed and certified roofing contractor look at it, and while you are at it have him fix your chimney flashing.

I would definetly assume it was not professional just looking at the chimney flashing. Just bcause someone gets paid to do something doesn't make them professional by any strech of the imagination.

I used to use alot of Tamkos, never seen that problem before.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
MJW

Shingles Buckling

The shingles are racked.....improper installation.

Shouldn't be the cause of what we are seeing here though......

What about the ventilation/insulation? Looks like small holes cut in the soffits.

Maybe squirrels hiding food under them??? Looks like the tree is rather close to the roof.

Last edited by MJW; 05-23-2011 at 04:55 PM.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Shingles Buckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
The shingles are racked.....improper installation.

Shouldn't be the cause of what we are seeing here though......

What about the ventilation/insulation? Looks like small holes cut in the soffits.

Maybe squirrels hiding food under them??? Looks like the tree is rather close to the roof.
That's what I thought at first too MJW, but if you look close I don't think those are all shingle ends. Kind of hard to tell from the small pics that's why I asked if they were all shingle edges.

LOl Squirrels, seriously?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
MJW

Shingles Buckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's what I thought at first too MJW, but if you look close I don't think those are all shingle ends. Kind of hard to tell from the small pics that's why I asked if they were all shingle edges.

LOl Squirrels, seriously?
Haha, torn off plenty of shingles with nuts, corn, etc. under them. Could be from birds too, I guess.

I still think those are all shingle ends. Just look, it's every other one up the roof. Look about 40 inches to the left on the first pic. Those are starting to buckle up also.
I'm curious as to what the problem is.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #11

Shingles Buckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post

Maybe squirrels hiding food under them???
I have soffit mini-vents: along the front of the house there are 15 2" holes and 5 4" holes (larger in the front porch). Along the back there are about 36 2" holes. They all have screen over them.

There is a Masterflow powered roof vent @ 1000 cf/min.

The sqft of the house is 1400.

As to insulation, i'm not sure, but I know it's not enough compaired to what is used today. It's whatever was code in the 70s. I do plan to add more.

The tree at the back corner of the house is touching the roof, but not for long. It has a date with a saw one night this week.

Here is the original photo (large, 5mb in size), should help see the shingles better http://plotts.us/images/DSC02136.JPG

Here is a photo from 2007 which shows the entire roof. In 2009 I had the roof professionally cleaned to remove moss, algae, and lichen. http://plotts.us/images/DSCN0160.JPG

The center and left roof sections (when looking at the picture of the entire house) don't have any buckling going on. So it's something with this one area. The back of the house is ok too.

I have no problem getting up on the roof for any additional photos if you'd like.

Thanks.

Last edited by daveplot; 05-23-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
Stairguy

Shingles Buckling

fish mouthing like you have there is usually a sign of poor ventilation. Just because you have sollit vents does not mean you have proper ventilation. Do you have insulation in the rafter bays? Where does the fan blow out? does it blow out of gable vents?
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #13

Shingles Buckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
fish mouthing like you have there is usually a sign of poor ventilation. Just because you have sollit vents does not mean you have proper ventilation. Do you have insulation in the rafter bays? Where does the fan blow out? does it blow out of gable vents?
No insulation between rafters. The fan blows out the back, middle of the roof, just below the ridge.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #14

Shingles Buckling

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveplot View Post
No insulation between rafters. The fan blows out the back, middle of the roof, just below the ridge.
Your 2" vents have 1.5" NFVA and the 4' with 2.75" NFVA should have 9"NFVA per foot on each soffit to vent 1/150; http://www.lomanco.com/ProductPAGES/CirkVents.html

The round vents should be touching each other or continuous for minimum vent supply; http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

The powered exhaust is pulling conditioned air from the house or crawlspace/basement.

Gary
Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Shut in w/o Home

Shingles Buckling

My WAG is that there is some sort of sheathing/rafter issue (but I'm not sure what) and the vertical pattern is created by "racked" shingle installation and the buried nail maybe didn't get installed, allowing the butt ends to separate some.

And I'll 2nd the opinion that the chimney flashing needs to be eyeballed.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote