Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Shingles being pushed up

Have a 100 yr old house with boards for the roof deck not plywood. The roof was redone 6 months ago. The roof was stripped to the boards, ice and water applied over the whole roof and BP laminated shingles (lifetime warranty) applied. About two months ago I saw a couple spots were the shingles looked like they were being pushed up from underneath(bulging up). Now there are several more spots were this is happening. The areas affected are sides towards the sun. They also seem to be the spots were the contractor repaired the roof deck with used metal flashing from the old roof. He said there were a few punky areas and used the metal to give the roofing nails more grip.
Is the used metal causing the problem ?

Should metal be used to repair a wooden roof deck ?

briansimola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,072

Shingles being pushed up

That's crazy to have even though of doing it that way.
The boards should have been replaced.
A thin piece of rusty metal was not the best choise for nail holding.
If the roof decking was that bad they should have replaced it all or at least gone over it with 1/2 new sheathing.

Post a picture of the roof.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,786

Shingles being pushed up

Call your roofer back to figure this out---In the mean time---post a few pictures---

There are several (a bunch actually) really good roofers here that have seen about every type of failure--Mike---
Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,214

Shingles being pushed up

To chime in on this one.........no, I would not want old flashing used to fill in where the wood is bad on your roof. Imagine that you have to get up on your roof sometime to grab a frisbee, check out chimney flashing, or whatever.........anyway, you step on one of those areas........what's gonna happen? Yup, you guessed it......at the very least you're gonna compress the metal and leave a divot in a shingle or two. At the worst, you are gonna go through the roof injuring yourself and your pride.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shingles being pushed up

Please, only one thread, this one, with identical question...
Thank you, Gary
Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 83

Shingles being pushed up

Were you offered a re-sheet? (just curious)

I have seen lots of people using flashing for holes, doesn't make it right though.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #7

Shingles being pushed up

Sorry GBA in WA. Didn't do that on purpose. Lost my internet connection twice and thought messages were lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to briansimola For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (06-19-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Shingles being pushed up

I will try to post some pictures but it is hard to get a shot that shows it clearly because they are laminated shingles.

Brian
Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #9

Shingles being pushed up

Here's a few shots of the affected areas. Sorry it took so long. Had to figure out how to get a 5 meg. picture down to 100k.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Shingles being pushed up-100_4533.jpg   Shingles being pushed up-100_4523.jpg   Shingles being pushed up-100_4534.jpg   Shingles being pushed up-100_4524.jpg   Shingles being pushed up-100_4526.jpg  

Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Shingles being pushed up

Used tins to cover small holes (old pipes, knot holes, splits etc) but should never be used to cover up rotted decking.

If you are sure it's solid ice/water then I would tend to discount it being underlayment buckling but that's what it looks like. 'Tis an odd one there but, you are right, something ain't right.

The same number of roofers came down the ladder as went up in the morning, right?
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Shingles being pushed up

Clearly they cut corners. When you say boards, any way you can guess what kind of boards? 100 years old, did it ever have cedar shakes on the roof? Anyway.. Doesn't matter, it was done improperly and the contractor needs to properly replace the boards or you for sure have a lawsuit. Was this a licensed,bonded, insured contractor?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,072

Shingles being pushed up

There's no simple fix for that mess, it's all got to come back off.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #13

Shingles being pushed up

To the best of my knowledge no roofers disappeared on this job.The boards are roughly 1*10 and yes there is I've seen evidence of the roof at one time being covered by cedar shakes.

Brian
Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Shingles being pushed up

So if its 100 years old it was obviously stick framed. Go into your attic and take a look see. Are nails protruding through the " 1x10's" ? Do the 1x10's look like they are splitting apart? You should be able to see the metal used? Again. Doesn't matter. Licensed, bonded, insured contractor?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #15

Shingles being pushed up

The contractor showed up to take a look. He could see the problem but assured us no metal was used on the front. I took Copperclads advice and put my head up in the attic and you can clearly see two lines of metal running side to side on the front(appears to be covering a larger gap between boards). This seems to match up with the lifting shingles on the outside. We will be contacting the contractor to inform him he was incorrect and demand money back or a full re-roof to remove the metal.

Thanks to everyone for your input. there was a lot of great suggestions.

Brian