Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Shingled Ridge Vents

I'm getting ready to have my shingles replaced. Currently have aluminum ridge vents on house. One contractor's bid includes replacing with a shingled ridge vent. Another's bid includes replacing with same kind I now have. I like the appearance of the shingled vent, but wonder if it provides ventilation as good as the other. Also the shingled vents I have seen appear to be continuous. My curent vents have joints every ten or so feet and I have experienced some leaks at these joints. Anyone have any comments/preferences/advice re shingled vents versus non-shingled.

Bill in Brevard, NC

expaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #2

Shingled Ridge Vents

The metal ridge vents have a butt joint every 8-10 feet which then got covered with a splice cover, which in many applications, comes loose or was omitted entirely during the initial installation. This may be the reason for the leakage in those areas.

The shingle over style ridge vents, such as Shingle Vent II, come in 4 foot sections, but they then get covered with the shingle ridge cap materials.

The most important aspect of ensuring that either the ridve vent or the shingle ridge caps do not come loose, is to utilize a minimum of 2 1/2" to 3" hand roofing nails. The gun nails are too short and will inevitably create problems down the road.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

Shingled Ridge Vents

agree completely w/ Ed, besides the ridge vents plain look better. We use only shingled vents because with aluminum the hail here will "ugly up" an otherwise nice roof.
BCIDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Shingled Ridge Vents

BCI and Ed.

Thanks for your input. The roof is going on right now as I type. I have selected the shingle over. Ed, I'll make sure that it is nailed securely. Have already covered this with the contractor.

Bill
expaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #5

Shingled Ridge Vents

I prefer OmniRoll from Lomanco. Never had the chance to use ShingleVent 2.

And you can use huge hand nails, or use 1 3/4" coil nails that bite into the wood. With Lomanco LOR 9-4 (9" wide x 4' long), it stands 3/4" tall, so you get 1" of nail penetration in the wood.

Lomanco also sells a vent similar to what you have now. their version offers 18" of net free area per linear foot, which is the same as their LOR 30 and Shinglevent 2 brands.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote