Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

shingle roof leak and hurricane questions

my roof leaks in several places. No one can find, not even the pros. I either need a complete new roof or a coating. Otherwise the roof looks fine. Two years ago, a 4 point inspection said it has 10 years life left. I did not tell them about the leaks. It was installed in 1994, so its not up to the latest hurricane standards. House built in 1952.

I have already installed rafter to block wall hurricane straps, secured the soffits, and gable end supports and used subfloor adhesive to attach the roof planks to the rafters and on the gable ends. Id like a new roof thats up to the latest hurricane standards, but a new roof is out of my budget. Im considering doing it myself, but i think its over my head. literally and figuratively.

I have several questions.

1-How well do those liquid roof coatings protect from leaking?

2-If I use a roof coating, can I secure the shingles to the planks with extra nails before I apply the coating?

3-What is the best material to fix spot leaks on a shingle roof? tar, silicone caulking, other?

4-I have tas100 approved ridge vents and suspect they are the source of some/all leaks. I did replace them myself on one of my ridges and noticed that the roofer who installed them with the last roof job (1994) did not follow manu instructions. When i replaced them, 2 leaks went away, two did not and now there is a third leak in that roof. The other two roofs have same ridge vents and one of those roofs leaks too. Since I still have leaks on the roof that i replaced the vents, i never replaced the other ones. Im considering finding a better quality ridge vent (but dont know how to asses), or I might just close up the openings and have no ridge vents. Suggestions/ideas?

5-Im also considering a metal roof. That i think i could install. Id need help from a qualified roofer and would find someone to help me. From what I have read, some metal roofs, like the metal shingles can last 50 to 100 years. I like that! Ive also read that some of the other metal roofs are not every strong against hurricanes. Your thoughts?

If I do #1 above, I will also replace or close off the ridge vents (#4 above).

Ive lived in this house since 1986 and plan on living here for the rest of my life, so i want a roof that lasts and that i dont have to worry about. Id like to feel sucure against hurricanes too. Im ok with yearly inspections and upkeep, especially if I can do it myself.

Every once in a while a plank to rafter 8d nail pokes up thru the shingles. Since 1986 I inspect yearly and seal up these holes. Which is why i asked about good shingle patching compound above. (#3)

thanks much for any advice. The rainy season is about over, so i need to get busy.

p

paulmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

#1 Add your location to your profile, just go to quick links to edit.
#2 No shingle roof done right needs any form or "patching" except on any exposed nails head on the ends of a ridge.
Post some pictures of this roof for far better reply's.
Installing roof vents is roofing 101, if there leaking something's very wrong and a picture will clear it all up.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

florida
Attached Thumbnails
shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa110004_tn_.jpg   shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa110006_tn_.jpg   shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa110008_tn_.jpg   shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa110009_tn_.jpg   shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa110010_tn_.jpg  

Old 10-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Joe is right on all counts, as usual. Now go back and take some close up shots of the ridge, the eaves and all conditions that you feel are causing problems. Its hard to tell what you have, and what is going on due to the distance from which you shot the posted images. There is a lot of debris on your roof, and Bricks????

The best value in the steep roofing business is, and always has been asphalt shingles. When properly installed, with a good underlayment, no pooky, coating, or anything else is needed to make them work.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Jand Bricks????

The best value in the steep roofing business is, and always has been asphalt shingles. When properly installed, with a good underlayment, no pooky, coating, or anything else is needed to make them work.
yes bricks holding tarps in place.

Im aware that no patching/coating would be needed if everything was right. Im not dealing with a "should be" here though.

I have a shallow pitch, 2/12 I think.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Thanks,

I would not have a ridge vent on a roof with a 2/12 slope. You have architectural shingles. These shingles should not be used under 4/12 slope, especially if high winds are expected. A lot of guys that post here will go as low as 2/12 with three tabs. IMHO They are wrong. The NRCA Roofing and Waterproofing Manual says 4/12 for a reason. The reason is based on a couple of hundred years of experience. They may not leak 9 times out of ten, but that tenth time is the one that really gets you.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

where can i find NRCA Roofing and Waterproofing Manual?

tks

pa
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Just google NRCA, ( National Roofing Contractors Association ) go to bookstore. Any roofer worth their salt owns these books. They used to have a book called HARK = Handbook of Accepted Roofing Knowledge. Not sure if they still do, but it was a very good book.

Last edited by jagans; 10-11-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #9

Do you know how to measure the pitch of a roof? That roof is steeper then what your suggesting.
http://roofgenius.com/roofpitch.htm
Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Do you know how to measure the pitch of a roof? That roof is steeper then what your suggesting.
http://roofgenius.com/roofpitch.htm
Yeah, in going back to look at the pictures, Joe is right. Looks to be about 3.5-4/ 12 I wish you would post some close ups, though. Your shingles look really dried out, unless thats the light playing tricks. I do not see any roof jack on the service entrance pipe, I see one area that looks like someone spilled a solvent on the roof, and it looks like I see black drip tracing coming out from under the drip edge at the eaves, but its hard to tell with these photos.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #11

I'm not seeing any over hang on the shingles on the gables.
Since you have that ridge vent covered in plastic I'd guess that's where you think it's leaking.
First thing I'd look at is how far someone cut the sheathing back at the peak.
I believe it was supposed to be no more then 2" on each side.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #12

st pete florida

49" from peak to bottom edge of shingles and 153" from same edge to peak. see pic
Attached Thumbnails
shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa120001_tn_.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #13

center ridge no leaks
Attached Thumbnails
shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa120002_tn_.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #14

latest nail that came up thru shingles. removed and patched
Attached Thumbnails
shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa120003_tn_.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

branch damage patched. It leaked again a few years later, so put more patching on it several times, but kept leaking. This time it was the ridge vent that was leaking. replaced the ridge vents last year on this roof (rear roof) and the leak stopped.
Attached Thumbnails
shingle roof leak and hurricane questions-pa120004_tn_.jpg