Shingle Overhang On Shed- Too Little? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By craig11152

Old 12-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 31
Question

Shingle overhang on shed- too little?

Hi Folks, this was my first attempt at roofing so I started on something easy- my 10x8 prefab shed that came with the house. I’m pretty handy at stuff, rehabbing my kitchen, rebuilding the engine and transmission in my car etc. My shed’s roof deteriorated so I decided to replace the shingles and do some improvements. Anyway, I only got one side of the gambrel roof done and then realized I cut the shingles with only ⅛” overhang over the rake drip edge! The instructions said nothing about this then I noticed on my house the overhang and looked it up and saw ” or so is proper.

Cliff notes version:
I spaced on one side of my shed only overhung the shingles by 1/8" on one “nearly vertical” side of the gambrel roof. Considering my options.

Long version:
Since it was in the 60s yesterday here in the mid-atlantic I did some roofing yesterday on my shed. To match my house I replaced the 3 tab shingles (with no underlayment) with GAF Timberline Architectural shingles plus 30 lb felt. It’s cold again so the rest is tarped and I might wait til Spring when it warms up to complete the job, so plenty of time to think.

I’m thinking:
1) Do nothing to the one side and just do the upper parts of the roof and the other side “properly”. This is obviously the least amount of work. Obviously, I’d monitor the inside corners to see if there’s any leakage and if so, then correct with #2, 3 or 4 below. It might look a little strange if someone notices the left side not matching the right side by ” or so. I was thinking with the drip edge and overlapping layers of underlayment on a steep slope it might be OK.

2) Try to stuff in a self adhesive starter strip in between the drip edge and the shingles to somewhat create an overhang. I’m not sure how well this will work though as the starter strip is pretty flimsy.

3) Try to replace just the edge shingles and redo that part with the overhang. This would involve cutting down/separating the edge shingles and perhaps attempting to loosen some nails, though some of the shingles are fairly thin

4) Tear out all the shingles and do it again. I haven’t gotten “that” far into it yet and might be able to salvage the shingles if I pound out the nails from the underside then carefully pry them out.. However, this is the most labor intensive. Further, I was reading the GAF instructions and it mentioned to hand seal the shingles with adhesive for steep slopes. I did not do this and it’s back in the 40s today so they may not have self-sealed yet. Then again- I’m trying not to overthink this- as this is my shed, not my house!

5) Some other suggestion!

Either way… live and learn! haha. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by cbrc5eric; 12-28-2016 at 09:44 AM.
cbrc5eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14,020

Re: Shingle overhang on shed- too little?

Long post for such a a simple question.
Should have been a bare minimum of 1/2" overhang, should have been drip edge installed before the shingles.

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 298

I would leave what you did, do the rest with a 1/2- 3/4 and don't loose any sleep over it Its just a shed.....unless you are OCD , then well, you have to tear it off.

I wouldn't worry about hand sealing the steep stuff as long as you hit your nail marks OK and did 6 nails per shingle on the steep stuff.
Windows on Wash likes this.

Last edited by craig11152; 12-28-2016 at 05:49 PM.
craig11152 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 802

Water can back track following the surface of the material and wet the top edge of that sheathing, but with your slope, I don't think that's going to happen. The overhang roof over the entrance, I would have flashed all of the lumber. Even painted, that is a weak spot over the years.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Water can back track following the surface of the material and wet the top edge of that sheathing, but with your slope, I don't think that's going to happen. The overhang roof over the entrance, I would have flashed all of the lumber. Even painted, that is a weak spot over the years.
I can still reflash the overhang roof! Good suggestion. It's been back in the 30s now so this project is on hold.

Next order of business after the roof is to trim off lower deteriorating T1-11 and replace that part with PVC trim board. Might need to jack up the shed to replace/add some framing with PT wood, found some rot on the other side
cbrc5eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:47 AM   #6
Steam Ice Dam Removal Guy

Rewards Points: 18

I wouldn't lose sleep over it just do the rest right. Hey you got dripedge at least, that should help more than the over hang. Some parts of country don't even use drip edge.

Advertisement

fred icedam is offline   Reply With Quote