Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #1

Share |

Shingle experts - please advise

We have been living in our house for just 12 years and noticed curling and pitting on our shingles for the past two years but thought that it was just a few shingles.

We had a professional roofing company come out and inspect the roof. It was discovered that we have the bad Certainteed shingles which came out in the 90's. They were supposed to last for 25 years and now are disintegrating, curling, pitting and spider cracking. Many people in our neighborhood have the same problem.

Question:

Internet sites state some customers who have had all new shingles paid for by Certainteed, some who have had their shingles only prorated, and then finally some people who have had absolutely no product placement. Keep in mind that this is a manufacturer's defective product! Also, the company will not pay for any labor! I have paid once for the product and the labor and now I'm expected to repay under 25 years again!

We have heard from others that the official local rep is not especially helpful to customers.

What can we do to get the shingles and labor paid for since this wasn't our fault to begin with? I don't want to get a lawyer -- I just want to speak with someone who can act courteously and professionally to help us.

Thank you for your advice
Old 08-31-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Contractor

Unfortunately, you'll have to talk to the company and see what they will offer. If they will at least give you new shingles, you could just do it yourself.

Don't give up easy though. I've had to make several calls to the same company, just to different reps, in order for them to get it right. Some people just don't want to deal with things like this.

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
aka:awesomedell

Send a message via MSN to housedocs

I'm curious as to what type of attic/roof vents were installed in these houses, what 12 yrs ago you say, problems you're describing would lead me to believe that the attics are not properly or sufficiently vented and the shingles are just burning up. Also seeing that the shingles have served approximately 1/2 of their warrantied lifespan, pro-rated replacements from the company would probably be the best one could hope for.

BTW, rarely do 25yr shingles actually last 25yrs, if you get 15-20 yrs I would call that more the norm. Let's face it, these are just builder grade shingles.

Just my .02