Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

Share |

Shingle Damage Question

I've done some roofing in the past, maybe 15 roofs total including tear offs & new, & right in the middle of tearing off the shingles on my own house for replacement. I noticed something I have not seen before & thought I'd ask this question here to see if it's a somewhat normal condition, or whether it's something that may be an issue that I need to know about before I start installing the new shingles.

The house was built in 1987 & I've been here since 1989 so I'm sure it's the original 24 year old shingles. The pitch is 12:12, the shingles are a light tan/cedar colored, architectural style, but I have no way of knowing what brand. Aside from the shingles being dry, brittle, cracked in some areas, they have a strange tear, or hole, that is directly above the roofing nail head. (See attached sketch) It looks as though the nails cut slots into the shingle as if the shingle was pulled downward from it's original position.

The shingles were nailed down with 4 nails each & the nails didn't appear to have moved. The adhesive strip didn't appear to have failed. Actually, the adhesive area held tighter than the brittle shingles when & pried them up. My guess is that a combination of factors may have caused this. The weight of the shingle, the steep pitch, & the heat from direct sunlight softening the shingle.

Am I right in this assumption, or is it some kind of defect? Can I expect it to happen again with the new shingles? I know the shingles are at, or beyond the life expectancy, but I never saw this before & curious.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Shingle Damage Question-elongated-holes-01.jpg  

Bob Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Shingle Damage Question

Nailed higher than 7/16" under the covering shingle does it, as well as the nails not being fully driven.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Shingle Damage Question

What was I thinking! I elided the 12/12 thing! There were also too few nails used too. 6 nails minimum for steep slopes.

Last edited by tinner666; 10-04-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Danged typo!
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Bob Deb (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

Shingle Damage Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Nailed higher than 7/16" under the covering shingle does it, as well as the nails not being fully driven.

I'll have to look at some of the shingles I pulled off, but nailed too high makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Waht was I thinking! I elided the 12/12 thing! There were also too few nails used too. 6 nails minimum for steep slopes.

Not enough nails makes sense too, glad I have a nail gun so my arm won't fall off.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Shingle Damage Question

+1 on both accounts and recommendations.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #6

Shingle Damage Question

Just a follow up for anyone curious. Turns out that there was a combination of both problems going on. There were only 4 nails, not 6, & they were all nailed way above the nailing location. As a matter of fact, they were nailed so high up on each one that the nails missed the entire course of shingles below. Instead of having a total 12 nails passing through each one, only 4 made it.

By the way, the aluminum ridge vent was just there for decoration. They sheathed right to the peak, shingled right over it, & topped it with the vent. Worked as good as a Fisher Price steering wheel does for a car.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #7

Shingle Damage Question

They're "Roofers"??? -
Some of them think that no one will get up on the roof and look at
what they did - or, didn't do!!

RF

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote