Shingle Color And Warranty? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Shingle color and Warranty?

I guess the last one was not my last post. I think this might be....

When choosing shingles the roofer told me that if I went with Tamko it comes with a 5 year full warranty then after that they are prorated.

He said that if I went with GAF Timberline, am paid 70$ extra, I could get a 15 yr full warranty.

Any suggestions? Then I can determine color.....

So, I put Tamko Natural Timber on my addition. If I go with GAF on the rest of the house, should i get weathered wood? Do you think there is that much of a difference? You cannot see the roof of the addition from the street, only from behind.

Advertisement

sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

There is another real well known and respected roofer that goes by the user name of Dougger, and he just recently posted about using the new GAF shingles, which are now a hybrid of GAF/ELK since those 2 companies merged.

He had very few positive things to say about the new product and forsees alot of short term and long term problems with warranty and blow off issues.

I would go with the same Tamko Architectural shingle, since I highly believe in their quality and also fore the exact match of such a beautiful color choice as the Natural Timber you already have on.

One day down the road, if you chose otherwise, you will be sitting in your back yard during a bar-b-que, and just start kicking yourself in the azz for not getting the exact match. It will haunt you from that day on.

Are you dissatisfied with the Tamko shingles that you already installed?

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Hi Ed. THanks for the info.

I like the Tamko's but I was just a little leery about the 5 yr vs 15 yr full warranty.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #4

Most warranty claims get denied due to improper ventilation. Period. I can only say that most people that have warranty problems do not even realize it at the time and most are from the "Organic" brand of shingles, so that additional "Supposed" protection would not concern me. Actually, I am very surprised at the minimal amount being charged for the non-prorated portion.

Choose the contractor who is going to do the job correctly.

As I told you in the other thread, if you have a diagram with the measurements, I will help you calculate things out, exactly. I would need to know the exact amount of existing soffit ventilation you have though.

Ed
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #5

Hi Ed,

Sorry I do not have the sheet with me now but it is basically:

13 sq. Remove 2 layers shingles, 1 layer shake, .5" ply (not osb). weather watch valleys and bottoms, smart vent, ridge vent, new gutters, spouts, fascia, drip edge.

I have 2 ridges and 2 valleys.

I have no existing soffits.

Front:

http://images26.fotki.com/v890/photos/1/14762/5108069/EmptyDumpster-vi.jpg

Back: (Not including the patio cover that I tore down) http://images26.fotki.com/v891/photo...reDemo2-vi.jpg
Old 01-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #6

Just from looking at the 2 photos, unless valley rafer venting is added, you will be unable to create a continuous air flowage.

DCI Products, who manufacturs the Smart Vent, also make a product which enables air flow to cross breathe from opposing sides of the valley rafter.

You do not need to ventilate the front overhangs, since they are over unheated sections of the home.

I hope they are using the Shingle Vent II or the Cobra Snow Country for the ridge vent exhaust, since both contain an external baffle to increase the expulsion of attic air and humidity. That is the best type of ridge vent design.

Other than that, it seems as if you have good specs, and since they proposed to use the Weather Watch version of Ice and Water Shield, instead of the better choice of Grace Ice and Water shield, that would be my only other minor suggestion so far.

When I get back to my office, I will check the calculations out in better detail, since I will be viewing the photos on a larger screen.

Ed
Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

they say a warranty won`t keep the water out !

Advertisement

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote