Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Share |

Shingle Choice Help ?!?

Building a new home and builder gave us a sample board for IKO cambridge shingles. Read initial horror stories about this brand and few that said that this line is an improved line. Other option was Tamko heritage.
These also get mixed reviews.

He told me that I could upgrade to Certainteed lanmark for 600...this seems crazy to me as from what i've seen...they cost about the same.

What should I do?????

Last edited by mikied; 10-15-2012 at 05:46 PM.
mikied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Shingle Choice Help ?!?

Go with a differant roofer. Your right there close in price.
I've never had any luck with both brands. There color matching even in the same lot number is horrible.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
I know alittle about alot

Shingle Choice Help ?!?

i agree get different quotes from afew other roofing companies in your area. In my area IKOs are about the cheapest shingles you can buy besides a three tab like tamko
JWilliams850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #4

Shingle Choice Help ?!?

I have to use the builder, but thank you for the advice just the same.

He at least gives a choice I guess, where as many builders just say...this is what we go with. To clarify, the three choices were:

1) IKO Cambridge
2) Tamko Heritage
3) Certainteed Landmark for an extra $600

I think I'm leaning toward the IKO right now. I'd like the Landmarks, but that extra fee seems unreasonable. One of the reasons I posted was to make sure that I wasn't crazy not to pick the Landmarks with the extra fee. Any comments?
mikied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Shingle Choice Help ?!?

$600 could be cheap if you are replacing that roof 5 years prematurely.

The Landmarks are likely more expensive and depending on the number of squares, that doesn't seem out of phase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Residential Roofer

Shingle Choice Help ?!?

All tho Certainteed Landmark would be the better choice of those three
"in my opinion" either of the three will hold up well if properly installed.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Shingle Choice Help ?!?

Don't know what the size is of your house, but around here there is about a $10 a square price difference iko vs certainteed. A square is 100 sq ft. IKO's are the cheapest shingle on the marker, I don't/won't use them. Tamkos are ok and will use them for customers sometimes. Infact I have Tamko's on my own house, but really began to phase them out since some of the tamko roofs I installed have been having seal failures.

Everyone has their preference, and something I found is that different factories will put out different quality. For example some forum roofers in other areas claim certainteeds are the worst, I don't see how this can be since myself and my installers think they are the best and we've worked with most brand shingles. I wouldn't be paying a premium on the certainteed shingles if I didn't feel they were worth a premium.

One thing is if you make a decision on low price you will ALWAYS have buyers remorse at some point in time. Remember it costs more to do it twice.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certainteed, iko, shingles, tamko