DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Shed sheathing done, add siding or not?

836 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
I've finished the shingles on the roof and have 1/2" plywood sheathing installed. On the internet I can't find any info or videos about putting siding on shed sheathing. They all put up sheathing that has a nice face on the outside already.
So should I bother with installing 3/8" plywood panel siding? Or just put 1.5" battens with caulking over the sheathing gaps?
Also 3/8" plywood panels I see have only 1/4" overlap on the butt joints, that's not much use, right?

Thanks

#3 ·
Are you talking about vinyl siding? In any case, why do you think siding on a shed would be different then siding on a sheathed house?
Just nail the siding into the studs, not just the sheathing.

#4 · (Edited)
What do you have on the permit/plans for siding?

Sheathing (for wall lateral shear) has c-d faces which is not for exposure to weather.... sheathing/siding is much different and has weather exposure along with shear;https://www.google.com/search?q=t1-11+plywood&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=t1-11+plywood+siding+types

Yours sounds like a sheathing grade only, plywood. The plugs are not finished nor is the surface acceptable for finish. What does the ink stamp on the inside surface read?

Gary
PS battens are used to mimic individual board & batten siding, applied vertically... plumb. You would not caulk the joint to allow for expansion/contraction...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.