DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sheathing nails loose

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  the roofing god 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting ready to roof the front of the house and have run across what I think is strange. A lot of the 8d common bright nails holding down the sheathing are loose. They either stick up an 1/8" or the flexing of the sheathing works them up. I pound them down, but they seem to keep popping up.

I've gone over many of the sheets and added 8d ring shank galvanized nails to suck it back up. Anyone run across this before? Is it common?

UPDATE: I forgot to mention the house is about 25 years old.

#3 ·
I also find this common to inadequately ventilated attics. The excessive moisture gets absorbed by the deck sheathing and it swells or expands and then when it dries out over time is contracts.

It doesn't take much expansion and contraction to slightly yet continuously move the decking and it will continually work the nails loose, plus leave a larger diameter hole in the rafter from the "toggling" effect. This is why they seem to have no holding power when you sink them into the same nail holes.

Ed

#5 ·
You can't just push them back in the same hole. These nails probably just missed the joist or caught the edge. Pull them out and renail above or below and into the joist.
Ron

#8 ·
I was just reiterating what the roofing god had said.At the same time agreeing with you and letting the poster know that the theme was a constant one.
I see troubleseeker has also chimed in, with the same recommendation. It feels like a movement is afoot.
Ron

#7 ·
. A lot of the 8d common bright nails holding down the sheathing are loose. They either stick up an 1/8" or the flexing of the sheathing works them up. I pound them down, but they seem to keep popping up.

quote]

Don't knock them back down, as you have seen they will just come back out again. Pull them and renail next to it with galvanized ring shank. Sounds like a good time to renail all sheathing anyway, and tighten the spacing up for modern practices as suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.