Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

Sheathing for concrete tile roof?

I have a 2 story home, in California, built in 1985, and it has a concrete tile roof. The roof framing appears to be 1x6 furring strips, open framing, on a truss system. There is no felt under the tile. Wind driven rain gets in between the tile and it leaks into the home. I will be repairing some dryrot on a 7' x 10' section that projects out over a 1st floor kitchen. I plan to remove all the tiles from this section to do the repair, which will also involve replacing a section of rotten 2nd floor wood siding, abutting the 1st floor roof. Once repaired the tiles will be reinstalled.

My question is, can I put down some roof sheathing, roof felt, 1 x 6 furring strips and then the tile? (In that order) This roof is above a kitchen, with no attic access, so I imagine I'll need to do some attic ventilation if I'm going to put down sheathing and felt.

Thanks for any help.
RM

RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM575 View Post

My question is, can I put down some roof sheathing, roof felt, 1 x 6 furring strips and then the tile? (In that order) This roof is above a kitchen, with no attic access, so I imagine I'll need to do some attic ventilation if I'm going to put down sheathing and felt.

Thanks for any help.
RM
If the tile hangs on the 1x6, then the 1x6 needs to be elevated above the solid sheathing and underlayment. If the tile is nailed to the 1x6, then you won't need the 1x6 on top of the solid sheathing/underlayment. Different tile brands/models install differently.

Here in KY, the standard installation system is solid sheathing with a peel & stick underlayment on top of it. If the tile has a hanging lug on it (which a lot of concrete tile does), pressure treated lath is installed on top of the peel & stick running from eave to ridge 16" OC. The purlins (usually pressure treated as well) are then installed horizontally over them. This allows any water that penetrates the tiles to run on top of the peel & stick and escape at the eaves. If the purlins were nailed directly to the sheathing, any water that gets under the tile would be trapped at the purlins and rot them away.

Also, if the purlin is for keeping the tile in place, a 1x4 or 1x3 could be used. In your present situation, the 1x6 is carrying the weight of the tile. If you install solid sheathing, it will be carrying the weight and the purlin will only be holding the tile in place.

Last edited by seeyou; 08-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

Thank you for the information. You've confirmed what I discovered on Youtube. The way the tile are presently installed allows for wind driven rain to infiltrate under the tile. So, the method you described would be a better way to shed the water. The only drawback I see, besides the extra material and work, is reduced ventilation due to the solid underlayment and the peel and stick. But, that just means a vent would need to be installed, no big deal.
Thanks again.
RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Metal Roofing

There is a small nieghborhood by me that has the same installation method, concrete tiles installed over skip sheathing with no underlayment.

I agree with Seeyou, the 1x6 is not needed.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote