Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sheathing alignment?

I am building an octagon Gazebo.

I am using 1/2 inch plywood for the roof. If I rip the 4x8 sheet on a diagonal and nail it vertically ( parallel with the rafters ), it makes one complete panel. However, then I have a continuous seam running up a rafter.

If I cut the normal way, I have more waste, and a seam that will be visible from the inside of the Gazebo.

How much of a no-no is this.

Thanks for your help.

edge.

edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #2

Sheathing alignment?

Installing plywood vertically, versus the dorrect way of horizontally goaes against the grain direction and strength of the panel.

Install it horizontally.

Why would there wind up being any exposed seams from the interior? You cut each piece at the center of each rafter that it is ending up at, nail it every 6" On Center on the edge seams and if their are any mid-span rafters, they get nailed at 12" On Center, then you install each successive piece beginning at the center of the previous rafter where the last edge of the previous panel left off at.

So easy, even a caveman could do it.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #3

Sheathing alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
SNIP

Why would there wind up being any exposed seams from the interior?
SNIP

Thank you for the quick reply, even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear

The inside of the gazebo roof is exposed. The common rafters are just under 8 feet long, which is 2 sheets of plywood per panel. The seam will be 4 feet up the ceiling running in an octagon pattern.

edge.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #4

Sheathing alignment?

I now see what your saying about the visible seams.If your not worried about stability of the structure and only worried about cosmetics,do it your way.I however would do it hoizontally and come up with an idea to hide it from the inside,like cedar siding or maybe hardy board planks or some kind of paneling.Many options to hide it,if your that worried about it.Take care-John
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #5

Sheathing alignment?

I was planning on using one side sanded 1/2 inch plywood to give the inside a reasonably nice look.

I could install my way and add a 3/8 CDX the correct way and just screw them together...with or without construction adhesive between the two.

Would that give you a warm feeling?

I guess the alternative would be install the correct way and add a vinyl ceiling for looks.....

thanks again.

edge.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:35 PM   #6

Sheathing alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
I was planning on using one side sanded 1/2 inch plywood to give the inside a reasonably nice look.

I could install my way and add a 3/8 CDX the correct way and just screw them together...with or without construction adhesive between the two.

I guess the alternative would be install the correct way and add a vinyl ceiling for looks.....

thanks again.

edge.
I think that would be a good idea(better if I would have suggested it,lol)Inastall your way and then install your cdx the correct way.I think that would work good.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #7

Sheathing alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post

thanks again.

edge.
I now feel the warmth. Yes, that sounds like a workable solution for the cosmetic intent.

I misunderstood what you initially where saying, regarding the seams. I was thinking of the side edge butt ends, not the top and bottom edges. Sorry.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:51 AM   #8

Sheathing alignment?

Thanks all, I appreciate your replies

edge.