Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

shallow hip roof ventilation

I have a shallow hip roof as shown in
http://www.cwta.net/English/hip_roof.html

To increase the level of insulation in the straight runs of rafters, I can put vent shoots. But I'm not sure how to vent the herringbone pattern of rafters descending to the roof corners, where the rafters are short and the space for insulation is very restricted. It's pretty hard even to get in there, although the roof needs to be reshingled and there's an opportunity to remove a section of decking to get at these corners.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Paul N.

pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

You have 2 options that I know of.

Where the hip rafters intersect with the jack-rafters, you can run a section of Smart Vent parallel to the eave edge, but positioned at the highest point at each rafter bay, spanning the distance of the rafter spacing. If the rafters are 2 foot On Center, then you would install a 2 foot section of Smart Vent on each opposing side of the hip rafter over every rafter bay.

The 2 foot sections would continue on in a progressive and redundant manner continuing up the angle of the hip until you arrive at the ridge.

The other option that I have used, is to install a Hip Vent product that is approved for Hip Venting Installations. Mid-America and OC Trimline are 2 brands that come to mind. I used the OC Trimline on one cathedral/vaulted ceiling roof and posted photos of the installation and its functionality, even in the winter months by showing that the snow melted from the hips immediately the same day after a 6" snowfall, verifying its ventilation flowage expelling the interior rafter bay heat.

I also used the Smart Vent along al of the eave edges to beef up the total NFVA of the entire system on that project.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Paul,

Check out this thread which shows the after views in the winter of the photos of the hip vent application I spoke of earlier.

http://www.diychatroom.com/showthrea...ent#post126471

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote