Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shake Roof

Now I know most will tell me to do away with my roof but finances wont let me. What is going on is that my shake roof is leaking on my patio roof and what I was wondering is can I pull the shakes up and put down more paper and reinstall the old shakes and if so how do I go about pulling up the old ones. They have been treated a lot since I have lived here so they aren't in bad shap.

Denis K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shake Roof

You need to purchase a Slate Nail Ripper. It is available from ABC Supply Roofing locations.

Slide the flat slate ripper/nail ripper bar under the cedar and move sideways until it catches onto the fasteners and then use a hammer and strile the 90* bend portion of the ripper with a downward thrust until the fastener either shears off or pulls out.

For the replacement, after you have removed the required wicking cedar shakes, you will need to slide them in place, ensuring that the side seams are offset by a minimum of about 2" from the next successive course of shakes, so they do not line up.

The newly installed cedar may need to be face nailed with 6 penny nails or the proper size for the thickness of the cedar.

An alternative to face nailing is to install a clip, composed of a sheet metal, preferably copper, where enough hangs down past the bottom butt end of the shake. Slide the shake in place. Bend the clip up and over to latch on to the bottom butt end.

These clips can be hand made with tin snips, cutting about a 1" to 1 1/2" width by about 6" in length each. Try one for fitted size and adjust from there.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #3

Shake Roof

Thank you for getting back to me I think you for your help. But I have one more question will there be any problem when I go to put the shakes back on such as having them split when I renail them.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Shake Roof

Yes, you could have issue with splitting. Odds are you will need some extra shakes when you do this project.

Couple things to add to ed's post.

1. When removing, begin with the ripper on the upper-most run. After they are removed you expose the nails for the lower courses. Just use a small cats paw and hammer and continue working downward, exposing the next course below etc...

2. Shake liner is more critical than the felt underlayment when you go to re-install them. I don't know if it was ever installed on your roof originally but if you are going to try to re-do this section, installing a new liner will go far in a good, tight repair in this area.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #5

Shake Roof

I want to think you for all of your help but could you tell me what a liner is I will be putting down new papper. This whole problem with my roof started when I hired a roofing company to refurbish my roof it never leaked before they got on it and I couldn't get them back out to take care of my problems they created, So I took them to court and got half of my money back because they didn't complete the job then I hired another company to finish the job but they wouln't garantee the work because of the first company then when it started to rain this year is when I found out about the leaks. I would never advise any one to have there shake roof refurbished. Just my two cent's worth
Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #6

Shake Roof

Shake liner is just a roll of 30# felt, cut into 18" wide rolls, rather than 36" widths.

On the last course of shakes that you will be reinstalling, unless they wind up at the peak of the roof, there will wind up being some face nailing required, but with cedar, which swells when wet, that is typically not a problem.

But, if the slope or pitch is too shallow, then a very good caulk that adheres to wood would be a cautious approach, such as Vulkem urethane sealant.

Ed
Old 03-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Shake Roof

What ed said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shake liner is just a half-roll of heavy felt paper installed between each run of shakes.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #8

Shake Roof

I am having trouble understanding the liner do you put this down on top of the new papper I will be using. ? Dont understand (Stupid) I guess
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #9

Shake Roof

Go to this site link and click on the image to see the larger view.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installat...ual/page04.htm#

Ed
Old 03-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #10

Shake Roof

That makes a lot of sence now ant the people that did my roof more than likley didn't do it like this or it wouldn't leak. I wish that I would of waited untill after winter to of taken these guys to court then I would af knew about the leaks. Thanks alot for your help I now know what needs to be done just as soon as it starts to warm up.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #11

Shake Roof

I am glad that the information helped ou, although later than you would have liked.

Life is all about learning from mistakes, as long as you actually do learn from them.

Good Luck,

Ed