Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

Share |

Several roofing questions

We had a lot of wind & hail damage and we need to get a new roof. I've talked to several contractors & they all say different things. Here are my questions.
1: We have box vents, should we get Ridge vents? which is better?
2: When getting new roof is it better to have shingles nail in manually with Hammer or nail gun? Read that only good thing about nail gun is speed but not always best option?
3: Several of my neighbor are getting IKO shingles & I have not read or heard good things on those, we were going to go w/Owens Corning shingles. Thoughts?
I just want to make a good decision & this this our first replacement for our roof. Thanks for any & all opinions or comments.
Miki

Miki22L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Several roofing questions

Hi where are you located?

Attic ventilation is a science that is unique to the architecture of each building. There are no one size fits all solutions and no "better" sicne better varies from house to house. if you can post a picture and or dscribe the roof to us, I am sure we can be of more assistance in this answer. What I will tell you is that ventilation is when ever possible, I like ridge vent. Ridge vent works well when there is proper intake ventilation and adequae ridge line. There is nothing wrong with mushroom/canned/boxed vents so long as adequate are installed. Not knowing much about your roof I can say 2 vents seems insufficent for the average home.

Hand nailing vs gun nailing. The great debate. You are right faster and easier is not always better, but sometimes it can be. I have been roofing since 1998, I started my roofing company in 2003. I never used a roofing gun until I started my company. What I thought was that gun nailing was manure, what I learned is that it all comes down to the mentality of the installer. If the installer cares about a good roof, you will get a good roof regardless. I discovered that while it is easier to make a mistake with a gun, if you take the half a second to stop and fix that half sunk or crooked nail or add an extra nail, you'll get as good a roof gun nailing as hand nailing. Not very many companies hand nail anymore and those that do swear by it. As I have said I have done both and quality is my #1 concern and have no hesitation gun nailing. I think hand nailing is a now gimick anymore, those that do it hype the heck out of it.

IKO shingles are cheap, that's why they are popular. Furthermore insurance companies seldom ever pay fair market value for a new roof and to compound that most storm chasers hardly ever install a premium roof. My suggestion if you are going to stay in the house is to look into a better product. There are lots of guys that like one shingle over an other. My personal prefrence is certainTeed. I think they make a very good shingle. I install Owens Corning shingles upon request.

I'm going to give you a few links to my website and hope that these links answer some questions for you, that maybe you didn;t even know you had.. First learn more about the entire roofing process of asphalt shingle roofing. Then learn about how to hire your contractor. Finally, read the truth about roof hail damage (while your roof may not have been damaged by hail, it's good information to have regarding any storm claim and dealing with insurance companies.)

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
Miki22L (07-14-2011)