Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

seeking advice on roof repair--see pics

Hi, got a house inspected and the inspector commented on some roof problems:

1) a plumbing vent has a raised flange that needs to be sealed down, and there is evidence of some water leak down to a closet below

2) a plumbing vent is showing sunlight at th roof vent opening which obviously needs to be fixed (I'm surprised they let this one go)

3) almost definitely a noob question: what are those streaks on the roofs coming down from the vents? is that something to be worried about?

4) What do you think it'll cost to get a roofer to fix all of this?

5) Can I fix any of this stuff relatively easily myself (I know very little about roofs, but willing to learn...)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by beezar; 10-14-2010 at 12:27 AM.
beezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Where' the pics?

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #3

sorry, had trouble embedding the images. will try to make them larger as well ....
Old 10-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 520

Well, the flashings are a relatively easy fix for a roofer. The "streaks" are actually the color of your roof, its the rest of your roof that is discolored. The rain washes the zinc from the flashings down and it kills the algae growth below it and cleans the roof.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #5

The 'streaks' are actually clean spots.The flashings from the stacks are oxidizing the shingles keeping them clean
(nothing to worry about,to bad the rest of the roof wasn't the same)A mixture of water,bleach and tsp would help this out.
0.The raised flange can be nailed down relatively easy and looks like part of your boot is damaged or missing,where the daylight is coming through.Replace boot.A good roofer could easily fix this in half hour or less.It should be there min charge+materials,which varies region to region,company to company,day of the week,etc,etc.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #6

Now that the pics are bigger I say the daylight is coming from the boot being raised so much,it is the one on the right?Did you just purchase this house?Looks like the boots are not seated right,maybe too small and forced on.I would have both leads replaced with appropriate sizes.I would also check flanges and collars on b-vents,make sure the collars are sealed,the one is crooked.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #7

The black algae on the rest of your roof won't hurt anything. It's ugly, yes, but if you can live with it and plan to stay there until the roof needs reshingling, I suggest you leave that issue alone.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your opinions. They were all very helpful. The one vent that is showing daylight seems to be a vent that was later installed when the owners installed a tankless water heater a couple of years ago; seems to me the job wasn't done well.

And I thought the streaks were bad! Definitely can live with the black algae...
Old 10-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

In regards to the pricing of the repair; My recommendation would be to remove and replace each of the pipe flanges.

Obviously depending on the company and other variables, the cost should be anywhere from $250-$500.

Try to get a warranty against leaks for these projections on your roof (3-5 years).
RoofDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

If one was just anal, and wanted to keep the roof clean, or at least one uniform color, how difficult would it be to clean? I see a lot of products advertised that seem to be spray on / rinse off. Any thoughts or reccomendations on this?

teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote