Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |

Sealing Leaks on Flat Roll Roof

I have a home in the country built in the 50s with a large Living Room Add On with Exposed Beams with a Flat Roof covered with Roll Roofing. The problem with such is they need regular maintenance to prevent Leaks. I Re Coated the Roof with standard Fiber Roof Coating commonly used by Professional Roofers. To my disgust there was a small leak coming from one of the Exposed Beams which I suspected might be coming from the edges of the roof as the rain seeps in and runs across the Beam. To deal with this I caulked the edge of the roof in that area where the beam is located with Dap 3.0 Roof Sealant and also nailed down the roof near the edge to insure the water doesn't run in under the Roll Roofing there. I still have a small leak but now closer to the edge that means I succeeded somewhat but more needs to be done. Would appreciate recommendation for what I can do now. Is there a better Sealant than the Dap 3.0 ???

srusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

Relying on caulking is never a good idea. The fibered roof coating you used, was this Aluma Coating? If so, fibered or not it will seal very small holes but I would not rely on it. The aluma coating is to protect the membrane not seal holes. If you have some pictures that would help. If you have to nail and caulk the roof edge periodically then it sounds like it might be time for a replacement or at least a major repair. Do you know the age of the roof?

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #3

It was not Aluma Coating but just the standard Black Fiber Coating used by most Pros. The Roof goes back to the 50s but I did have a Professional recoat the Roof a few years back and I had him install Drip Edge under it also (which may have been a mistake) Unfortunately I'm living on a VA Disability and SS so I can't afford to replace the roof or what I would do is install a Peaked Roof, Flat roofs prone to problems. Since the leak I'm dealing with at present is coming from an Exposed Beam I assume the water is either coming in at the edge and running across the beam OR there is a hole or crack above the beam but have not been able to locate it yetl. I have no choice but to use a sealant to remedy the problem. To sum it up, Flat Roofs Suck as you'll probably agree.
srusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

Put up a couple pictures.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Low Slope Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by srusten View Post
It was not Aluma Coating but just the standard Black Fiber Coating used by most Pros. The Roof goes back to the 50s but I did have a Professional recoat the Roof a few years back and I had him install Drip Edge under it also (which may have been a mistake) Unfortunately I'm living on a VA Disability and SS so I can't afford to replace the roof or what I would do is install a Peaked Roof, Flat roofs prone to problems. Since the leak I'm dealing with at present is coming from an Exposed Beam I assume the water is either coming in at the edge and running across the beam OR there is a hole or crack above the beam but have not been able to locate it yetl. I have no choice but to use a sealant to remedy the problem. To sum it up, Flat Roofs Suck as you'll probably agree.

You can not base your opinion on a flat roof from the 50's. All I do is flat roofs so no they do not suck. It's the hacks who think they can install them or people who expect the world out of something. Very similar to the "life time" shingles. Will they really last a life time? No.

I would also venture to say that the top layer is not the original roof. It is more then likely a lay over. The water can be transferring between the layers also.

The "roofer" you hired put a drip edge under the roof? If he did that is a problem, the drip edge should have been installed over the top and then the metal flange stripped in.

If you can post some pictures we could be of more help. Right now we are just shooting in the dark really.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote