Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sealant questions

I'd like to start by thanking those of you who have replied to the multitude of threads I have started in the past week. It has been very helpful. I am now just tying up loose ends and making sure I am not missing any materials to begin the install of the new roof. I am going to install Malarkey Legacy shingles, I live in Portland, OR and Oregon Roofers supply has a pretty good price on them and includes roof top delivery...which will be nice. I have set Thursday the 15th as my tentative start date. I will undoubtedly have more questions and like I said, the shared knowledge at this site is excellent and has saved me valuable time, so thanks again.

My questions today are about sealing shingles to valley metal and sealing valley metal laps. The Malarkey install instructions call for the shingles to be cut 2 inches out of the valley centerline on each side. My understanding is that no nails used to fasten shingles should penetrate the valley metal. If I am using 24" valley metal, that is 10 inches of shingle on both sides of the valley that is unfastened. The shingle install instructions call for the shingles to be fastened with a 3" bead of mastic on the valley metal, starting approximately 1 inch inside of the cut edge of the shingles. What is the best product for sealing the shingles to the valley metal? And, what is the best product for sealing valley metal laps together (the malarkey shingle install instructions call for no fasteners at the laps)?

diyroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 6

Sealant questions

I wouldn't have a clue. Nor do i knw how you can use 24" metal and not nail into the valley without leaving 14"-18" of shingle unnailed.
Though we get hurricanes and tropical storms here, we use 14" or even 12" metal with hemmed edges and the tops clipped off the shingles to direct water to the valley center.

The first two show how it's done. The next shows what happens when they aren't clipped. The metal was pulled out and the felt remove to dry the deck here.
The last shows an unclipped slate catching trash and directing water across the roof.

Cleats hold the valleys in place, except for a nail under the lap on each side so they don't slide down the roof. Lap them 6" or more. No sealant. (unless your roof is really lo-pitched. THen run 3-4 beads across the joint on the inside where their only purpose is to prevent capilary wicking!
Attached Thumbnails
Sealant questions-clipped-valley-shingles.jpg   Sealant questions-clipped-valley-shingles-2-.jpg   Sealant questions-unclipped-valley-shingles.jpg   Sealant questions-unclipped-slates-3-.jpg  

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #3

Sealant questions

Thanks for the reply. If I use 24" metal (24" total, 12" from center to edge), and I cut the shingles 2" from valley center, there will be 10" of shingle unfastened. This is per the Malarkey instructions: http://www.malarkeyroofing.com/wp3/w...structions.pdf

They actually do not spell out that the shingles shouldn't be nailed through the metal and I know I've seen it recommended elsewhere that the shingles be nailed as close as 6" from valley center. While the guide doesn't address exactly what to do with shingle fasteners in the valley, it does say they should be sealed to the metal with a 3" wide "bead" of mastic. What is the best product to use to adhere shingles to metal?

Last edited by diyroofer; 09-07-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Sealant questions

"What is the best product to use to adhere shingles to metal?" No clue. Sorry. Never done it or seen it done.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #5

Sealant questions

Interesting. For the sake of discussion, if you were to install malarkey shingles, would you do it your way or follow their install guide? If you did it your way, would it void their warranty?

How close to the center of the valley do you fasten shingles?

Thanks again for the info...I think I might use a dub cut more like yours than the little 1 inch cut they recommend.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

Sealant questions

I'd do it my way. I stop nailing at the edge of the valley. For shingles, I use 14" metal. It gives me 6-3/8" of metal on each side after folding the outer edge back towards the center. I never nail in the metal. It causes it to bind. then wrinkle in the heat, and then split like a beer can.
So, I guess my nails are 7" or so from the center.

Here's one I repaired that has been through several hurricanes since then, including the recent Irene. It's on the east coast. http://www.roofingtalk.com/f8/i-forget-489/