Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |

The sales ad. didn't mention the house comes with a pool

Not until I had the house inspection ... a 2" deep pool is found on top of the patio's flat roof. I can't swim in here so I decide to remove the pool by installing a drain/downspout and connect it to the existing downspout as seen in the picture (top right corner) ... is this a good solution ? Any suggestion in specific flat roof draining system? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
The sales ad. didn't mention the house comes with a pool-p1140206-medium-.jpg  
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

There has to be drainage somewhere...I hope ?
Probably clogged up with leaves etc ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

That's actually quite impressive LOL. It was not leaking anywhere else to drain? At least you know the roof is quite solid if it can handle all that water lol. But yeah I would definably hook it up to the downspout. Maybe even give it a dedicated downspout, I would go as far as using PVC and draining it far enough away from the house. (at least a few feet if the ground slants away)
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #4

Before hooking up to that one specific downspout, ensure that is the low point of that flat roof and also as Dave had mentioned, check for an existing clogged drain location if one exists that you can not see.

Use a sump pump to remove the water first and then see where the low spot is where water lastly remains.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #5

may have been self draining epdm now sagging. if there's a downspout in there time for scuba to suit up
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #6

Nope ... no drainage at all ... and it'll leak after heavy rain that the water level go past the metal flashings (is that the correct name?) at the four sides... quote from the inspection report: "water pond on flat roof and will only disperse by evaporation" ...

but no good sunlight in seattle for a while :P

Last edited by Stephen S.; 01-07-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen S. View Post
Nope ... no drainage at all ... and it'll leak after heavy rain that the water level go past the metal flashings (is that the correct name?) at the four sides... quote from the inspection report: "water pond on flat roof and will only disperse by evaporation" ...

but no good sunlight in seattle for a while :P
is there ever any good sunshine in Seattle? I see the typical moss growing in the shingles.

at least the inspection report did note it. That settles the problem of a failure to disclose.

It looks like there is merely a deck under this. Is that correct? Anyway, plug a drain in it once you find the low spot but what is more concerning to me is where it attaches to the main roof. That will allow the water flow to be held up and depending on how the roof is built, this could cause water to be able to get to the roof boards and even inside the structure.

that area should have either had epdm wrapped from over the flat roof side up under the shingles to a height that would not allow retained water to ever be higher that that point.

either that or the roof should have been built up so as to prevent that dam from the flat roof sidewall.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Looking at that again, if you add a railing that would make a nice little skating rink when it freezes LOL.

Not every day do you see people playing hockey on a roof.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #9

It looks as if the water has risen to a level where it may already be leaking up under the flashings, then saturating the roof decking and maybe framing lumber.

I would get the water pumped off, than have the same inspector take a second look at the roof over the patio.

If you go through with the purchase you should install some metal strips that are toxic to moss (either copper or zinc) under the shingles of the main roof near the ridge. The rain water run-off passing over these strips will pick-up enough of the soft metal strips to prevent the growth of moss on the lower shingles.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote