Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #1

Share |

Rusty nails

Whist tearing off the roof, I've found some interesting things. The plywood looks to be in fairly good shape. The tar paper is still on as I'm using that to spot nails easier. I'm pulling the ones I find that were used for the shingles. Lucky me, the person who put the roof on used roofing nails instead of staples to hold down the tar paper. SO that means, there's about 200 lbs of nails on the roof.

I'm leaving the ones that had the tar paper as they're driven flush. Anyway, I've attached a picture of a sample of the nails I've found.

Rusty nails-nails.jpg

The top ones are really bad, there are about 10% of the nails are in this bad of shape. The middle ones are the majority, probably 75-80% while the bottom one is mainly found on the edges.

I believe that the majority of them that are rusted on the bottom are from a high humidity attic, is this correct? The really bad ones were found mostly at the eves and around the vent stacks. I'm guessing ice damning and leaks by the vents. The plywood doesn't look water damaged though, at least not what I would expect.

Name:  deck.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  87.9 KB

I'm going to replace the plywood around the vent stacks because of black mold underneath from when the idiots didn't vent the plumbing the rest of the way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tony

FatAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #2

Rusty nails

Its mostly trapped humidity from not being properly vented probably, but the ice damming is a possibility too.

When the internal humidity level reaches a high enough saturation point and begins to collect on the underside of the deck sheathing, it will begin to travel down the slope of the roof on the under side.

Look at some of the rafters towards the bottom of the slope and you will usually see sign of staining or degradation near the exterior wall.

That definitely is minor water leak damage by the pipe, either from an actual leak from the boot flashing or fron the pipe having condensation buld up from the internal sewer gasses being warmer than some of the exterior colder temperatures.

That is why I wrote on another thread about not caulking the bottom flange of the pipe boot flashing, so that you leave an area for the trapped condensation to have a place to exit from under the flashings, ratrher than remain under them to eventually wick into the decking.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #3

Rusty nails

Yeah, I thought so. The nails that are really screwed I figured must be water hitting them at both ends, top and bottom. The majority were just the under side, so hopefully the ventilation I'm adding with the ridge/smart vent/soffit vent panels will yield more than 150:1...in the order of 125:1 or so.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #4

Rusty nails

That will improve things substantially.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:53 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Rusty nails

that`s water driven under the flashing,and the reason to seal the flashing down,you didn`t check the reference on pipevent flashing I left,you don`t get that kind of heat difference from a plumbing pipevent to cause condensation except the heat flue,and that`s doublewalled to prevent problems(mcgraw hill construction manual)look it up-
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #6

Rusty nails

Actually, those really rusty ones were from different spots on the roof above, below the flashing (i.e. 3 - 4 feet on either side, not right up next to the flashing). I ended up replacing 5 sheets of sheathing that were screwed with mold. I'll get pictures today and post.

I know the manual you're speaking of, but don't have a copy. I looked online for a copy but didn't see one. Are you suggesting I go to the library?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Rusty nails

the reasoning for the rusting nails was right on,the plywood staining wasn`t condensation-google mcgraw hill construction

the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote