DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Running down spout above or below a deck

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Gents

I am repairing a downspout and can run it above or below my deck (no extra work required). Which is better? I remember my home inspector telling me its better above deck any thoughts? I also am repairing exterior electric outlets that were run behind the down spout. I plan to run them behind the down spout ---> Are there any code issues with this?

Nick W

#3 ·
resonse to recreational deck/downspout

Aaron;

I am talking about a recreational type deck in the backyard of my home. I can run the down spout against the homes' exterior wall and take it about 7' across my deck then another 10' to take it off my property. The down spout was run below deck before. I can currently run it above or below with equal ease. I am trying to guage the NORM for doing this. Thanx for your response.

Nick:huh:

#8 ·
Why would ya not run a downspout near a GFI with an alleged waterproof cover? Damn things get wet with rain anyways, if they are more than three feet below the roof line. Flawed advice from our esteemed moderator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.