DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rubber roof prices

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tgf40 
#1 · (Edited)
Rubber roof materials prices, walkpads, and other questions

So we signed a contract with a rubber roofing contractor,
The job is supposed to start tomorrow. (Edit... it's nearly 10AM and they're not here yet. They said they'd start by 9 - this is not a good sign)
We did check references, though.

Of course today they said that price of materials has gone up
since the fall when they originally made their bid.
I think they were intending to use 0.06 thick membrane and
now they're going to use 0.045, and they've increased the charge $50.

First of all, has the price of materials increased a lot?
What kind of increase has there been in rubber roofing
material in the last 6 months?

Then, for residential roofs, do most folks use 0.045 or 0.06 thick
EPDM (I'm guessing that's what they're going to use)
It's squishy up there, and he said the brownboard is likely shot,
and possibly the OSB as well. We'll see how it looks once it's
opened up...

This contractor says he really likes a certain kind of glue that's
more expensive but works much better. What are the differences
in kinds of glue? Chemistry? Details please...

Third, there was a wood deck previously over the old rubber roof. That's gone now, but there's a railing around the edge.
I think we need to keep that, because there's a door leading out there from the upstairs bedroom.
Currently the railing is just sitting up there, bolted to the house (two bolts on each side), but otherwise the railing is not attached to the roof (and therefore quite wobbly) Do folks pierce through rubber roofs and
attach railings to the joists, or put some kind of flashing around the base? I can't believe just setting a railing on top is ever really done.

Finally, there are some walkpads that were recommended to put on top of the rubber roof membrane in case we ever want to go out there. We don't intend to, but someday when we rent the house we should get some. Anyone familiar with these products, are they all the same or is there a difference? Recommendations?
What to look for? Won't moisture get trapped between the walkpad and the rubber membrane?

Thanks for your help! Hopefully he'll explain much tomorrow, but in the meantime I want to be sure we're not getting screwed around. True, petroleum based products have increased, but how much?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Prices have gone up a minimum of 35 % since the beginning of the year, with another 10% to 15% increase on June 1st and the same increase on July 1st.

Ed

#4 ·
Usually, each membrane manufacturer has their own product or recommendation.

It has been a long time since I needed walk pads on a roof, but the heaviest, most durable, "At That Time", were manufactured by the Humane Corporation, out of Baraboo Wisconsin.

Ed

#5 ·
Thank you Ed,
Since the day of installation we've had bubble problems, I moved my post over
to the forum at roofing.com - maybe you've seen it there?
http://www.roofing.com/forum/sutra39824.html#39824

This contractor seems nice, we checked their references,
but I really don't think they know what they're doing...
Actually they were fine with removing the old rotted decking and replacing
it with new, but once it was time for rubber, a different story.

Anyone know good rubber roof contractors in NW Wisconsin (east of Minneapolis)??

T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.