Rubber Roof Bubbles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rubber Roof Bubbles

In late October, 2005 I had a rubber roof installed on my house. From the beginning there were problems with it bubbling. I was told that that was not a concern as water could not enter and it allowed for the roof to contract during cold weather. I have periodically taken pictures and have been in contact with my roofer regarding my concerns. Recently, the edge around the roof is coming loose and and is starting to peel off (see pictures!). He has has finally admitted there have been frequent problems with the glue he used.

Rubber Roof Bubbles-roof-border.jpg

Rubber Roof Bubbles-roof.jpg

He offered the following, "If you want to address it, in a final manner, we can explore doing a ballast roof (commercial version of a rubber roof) basically, we would have to install a new drip edge with a 1” lip on it, and then put down 1” gravel on the entire roof. This would hold down the rubber for good. I wouldn’t go this route unless we are eventually forced to, due to the worsening of the glues situation. I don’t know what the cost of the materials for this method would be, but I would do the labor portion for free if we ever have to go that route."

Does this seem fair? I checked with a neighbor who has a roof pitched just like mine and he has shingles. I was thinking my roofer could re-roof my house with shingles at not cost to me...is this fair?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Advertisement

icma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Rubber Roof Bubbles

That's definintely bad glue, or it was applied improperly!

A ballast is common with rubber membranes......mostly for wind resistance.......I've never seen rubber membrane without ballast. There are other materials that are made for un-ballasted applications, such as torch-down (different than hot tar). The ballast will be heavy, however.......make sure your structure can support it.

Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Rubber Roof Bubbles

Thanks for your input wanttodoitright. I'm also on another bb and your comments are consistent with everybody else. Just not sure what my roofer is gonna do.
icma45 is offline   Reply With Quote