Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Share |

Rotten Siding/Trim

Hi all,

I am a recent first-time homeowner and I was hoping I may be able to get some advice from you seasoned pros.

We moved into our place a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed there is some rotten siding and trim out back butting up to our deck. I am a bit of a DIY novice but have there have been a bunch of other projects I have had to tackle since moving in and have thoroughly enjoyed them/been pleased with the results.

Originally I thought it was just the siding that was rotted and thought I could just pry out the old and cut a new piece to fit. After rooting around, I realize the bottom of the trim is in a bad way too for what seems to be the first few inches.

I have attached some photos so you can see.

Another concern is that if the whole panel is rotten, it sits behind the drainpipe which would probably have to be removed. On initial inspection, the wood seems pretty solid around the drain pipe compared to the warped crumbly siding at the other end.

Any advice on how to best tackle this/prevent it happening again in the future? Or do you think it is time I called in a professional? I obviously want to get to the root of the problem and prevent it from returning.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Rotten Siding/Trim-img_0963.jpg   Rotten Siding/Trim-img_0964.jpg   Rotten Siding/Trim-img_0965.jpg  

jrkellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #2

Rotten Siding/Trim

#1 You have a form of siding that's little more then ground up cardboard.
I would not be surprised if it was not Masonite brand siding which had a class action suite against them for many years and someone could have gotten free siding years ago to replace it. That's long pasted now.
#2 That deck was build way to close to the siding or the siding is to close to the deck.
The deck should have been free standing so it did not even touch the siding and there was room for drainage. The way yours is built I'd bet once that siding comes off the sheathing and more is also damaged because it was ether not flashed correctly.
There's also rotted brick moulding and a rotted out threshold that need to go. The wooden brick moulding can be replaced with PVC.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

Rotten Siding/Trim

Thanks for the reply joecaption. I've just been reading up on Masonite and it sounds like people have no end of trouble with it. The home inspector said the siding was in good condition and checking around the rest of the house it seems to be so. Only the pieces butted up against the deck are showing any issues.

I obviously don't want to have to replace all the siding on the house if at all possible but I'll get a pro to come out and see what they think & make sure that any replacement boards do not touch the deck.
jrkellew is offline   Reply With Quote