Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Rotted Fascia?

Is this a good idea?

http://www.lemurzone.com/rfg/index.p...fascia-repair/

The "builders" of my patio were obviously not licensed (don't get me started), and the painter never primed the "still wet" box store wood. The 2x8's started warping before I bought the house, and there are a couple of spots where the drip cap was comprimised and the plywood is slightly dryrotted. Now I don't have the time or money to rip the roof up, and the damage is minimal enough to perform the above band-aid fix and seal the leaks until I am more prepared or sell the house.

I was going to start this today, but the wind was strong and I didn't want to handle a power saw when I could hardly stand on the ladder without one. I put a guide on the saw so I could accurately fit the ripped lumber flush like nothing happened. I'm thinking it might be easier and safer to be on the roof while cutting.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rotted Fascia?

I've replaced many a foot of fascia/soffit and have seen that trick. I understand he has the foam roofing problem to contend with. Cutting it back is not a good DIY thing to do. The poster obviously, to me, has experience with power tools and working with them up off of the ground. Are you stating that you have 2x8 fascia boards? These would be rather large in my area, but may be common in your area. You also state that the plywood is damaged in some areas. Are you talking about the roof decking plywood? You may be able to "band-aid" this up to sell but removing roofing shingles to access the damaged decking would be the correct way. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Fixer-'til-broker

Rotted Fascia?

Thanks! I pretty much answered my own question after I posted this. NO!

The time I've already spent on this and money spent on materials and saw blades would probably add up equal to or more than doing it proper. If the roof job was done proper in the first place, this would be an easy fix...or not need to be fixed at all!

I'm going to tear it apart and see what I can salvage.