Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

Roofing Underlayment/DripEdge

Im going to be shingling my roof here soon but i've been reading so many different ways to apply to drip edge and underlayment. Some people say apply the drip edge right on the bare sheathing at the eave, others say never apply drip edge on bare sheathing. Some say dripedge first, some say underlayment first. My plan is to take some 18" wide Ice and Water Underlayment and install it along the eave first. Then install the drip edge on top of that so it's not on bare sheating. Then i was going to use the 36" wide Ice and Water Underlayment and run that along the eave on top of the drip edge. Then i have a small valley at the eave which i plan on putting the 36" wide Ice and Water Underlayment in this valley which will run down on top of everything i allready mentioned. Then i plan on installing Grace Underlayment on the rest of the roof instead of Tar Paper and last install the dripedge on top of that Underlayment on the Rakes. Does this make sense to do it this way? Once i figure the underlayment out i'll have questions about shingling in the valley just to make sure i get that right, never shingled a roof with a valley.

jpm6621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

You can do that if you want but that's overkill. Edgemetal on eave first. Ice/water over that edge metal up min 2' behind your exterior wall, ice/water in the valley. Cover the rest of the field with the underlayment of your choice. I don't like anything less than #30 felt. Last you install edgemetal up the rakes.

*Some regions prefer to run ice/water lapped down the eave then edge metal over that.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
registered

It depends on the roofer. Just like some roofers like the run the shingles on the gable ends a little pass the apron. I like the look when it flush with the apron. On my house they ran it a tiny bit pass the apron. But on my garage its flush. I don't like it a little pass apron. When it rains it drips.

Finally drip edge is usually used when you don't have gutters. If you do then its gutter apron.

Last edited by 747; 05-16-2013 at 01:09 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm6621 View Post
Im going to be shingling my roof here soon but i've been reading so many different ways to apply to drip edge and underlayment. Some people say apply the drip edge right on the bare sheathing at the eave, others say never apply drip edge on bare sheathing. Some say dripedge first, some say underlayment first. My plan is to take some 18" wide Ice and Water Underlayment and install it along the eave first. Then install the drip edge on top of that so it's not on bare sheating. Then i was going to use the 36" wide Ice and Water Underlayment and run that along the eave on top of the drip edge. Then i have a small valley at the eave which i plan on putting the 36" wide Ice and Water Underlayment in this valley which will run down on top of everything i allready mentioned. Then i plan on installing Grace Underlayment on the rest of the roof instead of Tar Paper and last install the dripedge on top of that Underlayment on the Rakes. Does this make sense to do it this way? Once i figure the underlayment out i'll have questions about shingling in the valley just to make sure i get that right, never shingled a roof with a valley.
That is exactly correct. It is called enveloping the metal drip edge. You can use a 12 inch piece of ice dams. Turn down over the fascia cladding 2 inches the run up on the sheathing 10 inches. Install your drip metal. Do not overnail, do not nail through the laps, and do not nail more than 1 inch from the upper edge. Run a full sheet of ice dams right out to about a 1/4 inch from the edge of the drip. Continue ice dams minimum 2 feet inside exterior wall line.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

I have a question after i install the Ice and Water in the valley. When i go to lay the regular underlayment, do i run it pass the valley like when i install the shingles or do i cut it to end in the valley or cut it short of the valley.
jpm6621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Make sure it is lapped at least 6"ish over the ice/water shield.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
jagans (05-23-2013)