Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

Roofing type for 3/12 pitch

I am adding on to my home, and part of rhe project includes a large shed dormer. Unfortunately, the roof pitch will only be 3/12. Due to other issues, this is as steep as we can make it.

I would like to hear opinions on what materials will work best on a roof of this pitch.

The remainder of the new roof is 10/12, and will get tamko heritage arch shingles to match the existing roof. I would love to use these on the dormer also, but would like some opinions from those with experience.

My initial thought was to use grace ice and water shield on the entire dormer roof, but I have seen positives and negatives written about doing this.

Some say its great, others say the shongles stick to it so next tear pff requires ripping up the sheathing. Still others say if you use the Grace brand the shingles wont stick etc etc. not sure what to believe.

pkovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Talk to Tamko and see what they say.

I have certainly seen my fair share of 3:12 asphalt roofs that were still working, even without I/W shield, but it is not ideal.

Any of the membrane options as well as mechanically seamed standing steam metal will work fine in this case.

A fully covered deck with I/W will work as well with a proper shingle.

If you ask Tamko, they may say its permissible with certain modifications.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #3

Shingles stick to each other not the underlayment.
Tar papers far more sticky then any Storm And Ice I've ever seen.
So some of your info your getting is wrong.
If it's in the budget I'd go with a metal roof or EPDM before I'd shingle it. (not a metal roof with exposed fasteners.)
If you shingle it most manufactures suggest using 30 lb. felt that's double up with off set seams or at least laying it so the seam is in the middle, not at the 6" line.
It's also suggested to lay them with a shorter exposure line so there's more over lap.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #4

Thanks Guys. Tamko says it's OK. Seems like most manufacturers will allow traditional shingles on this pitch, as long as their low slope installation is followed. That seems to be pretty much what Jope Caption has outline (i.e. doubled underlayment, overlapping halfway, less exsposure etc..) Seems like some opt to Ice and watershield the whole deck rather than that, and Tamko will accept that as well.

All that said, I still see guys claiming the ice and watershield is no good due to not being permeable; decking can rot from beneath. Other guys say you end up having to tear up the decking upon the next re-roof (several on this board said that in older posts). Then others seem to think the stuff is amazing, stating the permeability is a moot point if you vent properly, and that the Grace brand has no sticking issues and you just go over with another layer of it when you reroof. Opinions really seem kind of all over the place.

The new roof will not be extremely visable, but it will be seen to some degree. That's the main reason for wanting shingles.

Metal would be great, but not sure the budget will allow for it. As for EPDM, I know squat about it, except it reminds me of my old grade school roof that we used to sneak up on when we were kids :-) Not very attractive if visable.

On a separate note, upon researching this, I saw at least one person basically say Tamko shingles are junk. Any truth to that? I was going Tamko to match existing, but hell I'm sure I could get close with another brand, and the new won't betouching the existing roofs. Any suggestions for better brands from personal experience?
pkovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

Metal is a bit more expensive, but it is less maintainence. And if you are doing it yourself, it won't be that much more. Another alternative is a different type of roof I saw here:

http://plasticroofingsheets.net/

But that is going to be something you would have to consider all the factors of youself as well.
TedLeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Low Slope Roofing

Anything will really work on that slope. Shingles, metal, membranes. If your looking for something to match the shingles you could also do a Self Adhered mod bit sheet. Some are pretty close to shingle colors. At a 3/12 slope you can also do the snap lock standing seam profiles. Basically up to you and what you want to spend. I'd personally go with a single ply or Hot mop mob bit, but I can do the hot mop my self, I wouldn't recommend it for others depending on size. If I was bidding the job a hot roof wouldn't even be offered most likely unless thats something you really wanted. I'd offer a single ply EPDM, TPO, PVC and possibly a S/A sheet or metal if you really wanted it.

Up to you on what you want the end result to look like, if looks aren't in consideration I'd go with EPDM.

Tamko makes a S/A sheet that matches some of the shingle colors.

Some Ice and water shield will stick to the shingles, I don't know the brand off hand. Grace will not. One of the issues with using ice and water shield on a entire roof deck is the fact you will never get it back off the plywood, causing issues when reroofing.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Shingles stick to each other not the underlayment.
Tar papers far more sticky then any Storm And Ice I've ever seen.
So some of your info your getting is wrong.
If it's in the budget I'd go with a metal roof or EPDM before I'd shingle it. (not a metal roof with exposed fasteners.)
If you shingle it most manufactures suggest using 30 lb. felt that's double up with off set seams or at least laying it so the seam is in the middle, not at the 6" line.
It's also suggested to lay them with a shorter exposure line so there's more over lap.
Every tear-off I've done that had shingles on top of I+W was a giant PITA. We have started to cover the I+W with felt or synthetic to make it easier on us the next time.
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roofermann For This Useful Post:
tinner666 (03-01-2014), Windows on Wash (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

+1

We cover it with synthetic for the fudge factor as well.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
roofermann (03-02-2014)