Roofing Shingles-What Is The Best Brand? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
bja

Rewards Points: 10

Roofing shingles-What is the best brand?

Which is the longest lasting roofing shingle brand? I am seeing weird things about Pinnacle. I live in South Carolina very close to Augusta, GA.

Would a Certainteed or Owens Corning architectural shingle be better choices? Which is best?

Also, regarding under layment--Is the Berger UDL synthetic better than felt?

Thank you for your help.

b

Advertisement

bja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,170

Just an opinion, but my experience has been that, in regard to the longevity of a roof, proper installation is more important than the brand of shingles, with proper installation including inspecting the sheating, and replacing as/if needed, proper installation of flashings, verifying that the roof is properly vented, and modifying if necessary, etc.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

bja, you might try the "search" option on the forum before adding to the 6000 threads already done on this topic.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
seeyou (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Thrasher

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Just an opinion, but my experience has been that, in regard to the longevity of a roof, proper installation is more important than the brand of shingles, with proper installation including inspecting the sheating, and replacing as/if needed, proper installation of flashings, verifying that the roof is properly vented, and modifying if necessary, etc.
Excellent advice

Also the homeowner should go with Certainteed shingles
Lulimet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lulimet For This Useful Post:
seeyou (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 40

I did an exhaustive web search and came to the conclusion that the opinion is about even among roofing contractors as to which of the big 3 or 4 is best. For us it came down to which shade or green my wife liked best and Certanteed was the winner.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Yes Jim, it really is mostly about quality of installation. Beyond that it's merely aesthetics. Every major manufacturer has their pros and cons.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,038

And with all things being equal--- color: pick White color over Grey =36*cooler roof, white over Brown =54*cooler........
pp. 6: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2002/rose02a.pdf

And, WELCOME to the forum!

Be safe, Gary
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #8

For those of you who've installed roofs for customers, overall which brand/shingle appeal to customers? (color selection, durability, warranty...)
blodgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Roofing & Renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodgett View Post
For those of you who've installed roofs for customers, overall which brand/shingle appeal to customers? (color selection, durability, warranty...)
Every H/O is different I dont think that I could say this is more of what homeowners want or like. I can say I sell more certianteed shingles than any other simply because that is what I suggest to the customer because I believe thaty have the best warranty in the business. Of course that is just my opinion and I know that others will have theirs. Color changes with almost every job because most H/O want to match their brick or siding.
SoarRoofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Contractor

I would recommend not using 3-tab shingles in high wind areas, the individual tabs tend to blow off!!

Hope this is of some help!!
get-r-done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #11

You should consider a few things such as your location, climate and warranties. Quality roof shingles will have a 20 to 30 year warranty. Three-tab and laminated shingles often have even longer guarantees. Also if you live in the south, specifically like Georgia or Florid then you should consider purchasing shingles that have an algae resistance coating for humidity. This article on roofing shingles gives clear differences to help you decide http://www.roofingwindows.net/reside...ofing/shingles
Eleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Gaf .

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Different materials for different climates., objective are you trying to reach?Are you wanting a lifetime?How deep are your pockets ? Are you into going green ? I like Certainteed but in a pinch ($$$$)I would use Tamko If my pockets were deep Owens Corning has some really nice earth tones.GAF is a nice solid shingle as well.,I would (personally)stay away from the word IKO.And I would definately choose at least a 30yr and no 20's or 25yr 3-tab.,the arch's are worth the extra coin.Certainteed and GAF as well as Owens Corning give you the ability to upload a photo of your home and view your home with an array of colors and styles.lol

Advertisement

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote