DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

roofing for a shed

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  hankscorpio 
#1 ·
Hey guys (and gals)

Sorry, I posted something similar in the building and construction section but hadn't gotten many responses. It occurred to me that maybe i should ask my specific question in here.

I'm planning on building an 8x10 shed (10 wide) I've pretty much got my plans worked out up to the roof. I've seen plenty of designs for building a ridge and cutting birds beaks in to rafters. I've also been told that i could do truss's much quicker and easier.

So while building the ridge and rafters, putting up 1/2 inch OSB, paper, and shingling is still an option.

I'd really like to explore building truss's, putting purlins across them, and using ondura corrugated roofing panels as it would definitely save me a lot of time.

I realize building the ridge and using asphalt shingle is the "better" way to do it but all i need the roof to do is keep the water out of my shed where i will store lawnmower, bikes, kids toys, and yard tools. I'm not building a studio or workshop or anything of that nature.

Any one have any advice on building truss's or links to sites that show good diagrams for building a truss for an 8x10.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea i considered that but on a small lot its just too "outhouse" looking. It certainly wont be the most stunning shed in the neighborhood but I think it can be simple and blend in. My house is a cape cod so a 10x8 with a gable roof painted the same colors as my house would look decent i think. Even though i know the shingles are nicer i could get the ondura in brown which is the color of my shingles on the house so i think i could pull it off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.