Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #1

Share |

roofing for a shed

Hey guys (and gals)

Sorry, I posted something similar in the building and construction section but hadn't gotten many responses. It occurred to me that maybe i should ask my specific question in here.

I'm planning on building an 8x10 shed (10 wide) I've pretty much got my plans worked out up to the roof. I've seen plenty of designs for building a ridge and cutting birds beaks in to rafters. I've also been told that i could do truss's much quicker and easier.

So while building the ridge and rafters, putting up 1/2 inch OSB, paper, and shingling is still an option.

I'd really like to explore building truss's, putting purlins across them, and using ondura corrugated roofing panels as it would definitely save me a lot of time.

I realize building the ridge and using asphalt shingle is the "better" way to do it but all i need the roof to do is keep the water out of my shed where i will store lawnmower, bikes, kids toys, and yard tools. I'm not building a studio or workshop or anything of that nature.

Any one have any advice on building truss's or links to sites that show good diagrams for building a truss for an 8x10.

Thanks
hankscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
the Musigician

roofing for a shed

If making it 'pretty' is not a concern, I'd just make the front wall 8' and the back 7' and put a slanted roof on it. I've done this on 3 or 4 of my outbuildings here as it's just easiest.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

roofing for a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
If making it 'pretty' is not a concern, I'd just make the front wall 8' and the back 7' and put a slanted roof on it. I've done this on 3 or 4 of my outbuildings here as it's just easiest.

DM

Yea i considered that but on a small lot its just too "outhouse" looking. It certainly wont be the most stunning shed in the neighborhood but I think it can be simple and blend in. My house is a cape cod so a 10x8 with a gable roof painted the same colors as my house would look decent i think. Even though i know the shingles are nicer i could get the ondura in brown which is the color of my shingles on the house so i think i could pull it off
hankscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote