Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #1

Share |

Roofing and Raining Question

How long do you have to wait after it rains before installing a new roof?

I have someone that can install it on Monday but it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

Also. Does it makes since to clean the gutters out if you're about to get a roof installed. If he can't do it Monday I'll have to wait 10days - 2 weeks to get it installed.

We've been having heavy rain and I don't want to ruin my foundation. The rain is pouring over the gutters. My husband doesn't want to clean the gutters. LOL

GirlDoItYourselfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlDoItYourselfer View Post
How long do you have to wait after it rains before installing a new roof?

I have someone that can install it on Monday but it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

Also. Does it makes since to clean the gutters out if you're about to get a roof installed. If he can't do it Monday I'll have to wait 10days - 2 weeks to get it installed.

We've been having heavy rain and I don't want to ruin my foundation. The rain is pouring over the gutters. My husband doesn't want to clean the gutters. LOL
You can install new roof immediately after a rain.The roofers will be tearing off the old roof and filling your gutters with debris anyways,most roofers(good ones)will clean gutters.Just specify you want them cleaned.Have a good day-John

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

We always clean out the gutters after a tear off. You have to, well you don't have to but if you don't the gutters will be packed with garbage. As one of our service offerings we clean gutters. We get several people calling us every year saying "the roofers never cleaned out the gutters." When they ask them to come back and do so, they want to charge extra. What complete hacks IMO!

If the roof is being torn off, as it should be, then they can install the new roof immediately after the rain. Don't allow them to tear off more than they can roof back that day, assuming the job is a 2 day project. If they are laying over, as they should NOT be, then you'd want the roof to dry out at least 24 hours so not to trap moisture between the shingle layers.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Any tearoff we do I make sure the HO knows "...and you are getting a free gutter cleaning to boot!" since a proper cleanup after a tearoff includes removing the debris from the gutters we end up cleaning everythign out. I believe any other reputable contractor thinks the same way so I wouldn't worry about it until after the job is complete.

As far as the weather, as long as they dry in as they go and are mindful not to get too far ahead of themselves, the rain will not affect the final result of your new roof.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #5

Around here people only seem to clean gutters if they tear off the roof if its a nail over which most seem to be around here ,, though our company will not do them. people dont clean the gutter. I would simply ask the roofers to make sure its done
OnlineHouseDoc is offline   Reply With Quote