Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roofing question???

I have had some storm damage to my roof recently (about 15 shingles blown off and the insurance has written a number down to replace the roof)..Right now I have a one layer three tab roof, with box vent's..
My question to you is would it be better to tear off my existing roof and go with another three tab and cover my box vents up and install a ridge vent??

OR would you go with putting a three dimensional shingle roof over my three tab and still install a ridge vent???
Thanks for any replies in advance..

Jicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roofing question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicky
I have had some storm damage to my roof recently (about 15 shingles blown off and the insurance has written a number down to replace the roof)..Right now I have a one layer three tab roof, with box vent's..
My question to you is would it be better to tear off my existing roof and go with another three tab and cover my box vents up and install a ridge vent??

OR would you go with putting a three dimensional shingle roof over my three tab and still install a ridge vent???
Thanks for any replies in advance..
Who will pay for the new roof? (you or the insurance company?)

How many shingles were damaged in the storm?
Did the shingles blow off or did something fall on the roof?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Roofing question???

I have said this to people so many times....If an insurance company pays you to tear off the shingles and replace them, that is what you are supposed to do. Too much ins. fraud in this business. You are to tell them if you are hiring it done, or doing it yourself.

If there is no problem with the venting, just leave it. There is nothing wrong with normal box vents. Have the shingles tore off and replaced with Landmarks, Timberlines, etc.. whatever you choose, just junk the 3 tabbers.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote