DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Roofing question. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/roofing-question-147402/)

747 06-18-2012 04:51 AM

Roofing question.
 
First looks like ed the roofer and Aaron B has fallen off the board like me. Here is the question. 22x22 detached two car garage. 1 Layer asphalt tear off. 4/12 pitch. Go with a 30 year landmark. What would be a ballpark figure to do this job so i will know if a bid is extremely high. I honestly don't know. I'm thinking maybe 1600-1800.

Thanks.

joecaption 06-18-2012 06:38 AM

Not likly your going to get anyone here to price out your job for you.
Your going to have to get some local prices on your own.

hotrod351 06-18-2012 08:48 AM

your thinking is about right.

747 06-18-2012 11:45 PM

Well thats ok. To bad ed and aaron fell off the board. They had my back.

tinner666 06-19-2012 06:44 AM

5sq. with cap and starters? $1,800. or so might be right for your area. I really don't know since I never bid shingles.

Aaron won't be back, and Ed may drop in once in awhile. He's very busy raising his son.

ParagonEx 06-19-2012 08:19 PM

Probably about $2500. A small job like that costs more.

747 06-21-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinner666 (Post 946754)
5sq. with cap and starters? $1,800. or so might be right for your area. I really don't know since I never bid shingles.

Aaron won't be back, and Ed may drop in once in awhile. He's very busy raising his son.

I actually recognize your username:laughing: Thanks.

Good news. The house next to me was bought by a gc for fix up. I caught him this morning. He side no problem my roofer could knock it out some afternoon to save money. $1650. I can't believe how much shingles have gone up. When i roofed the house lanmark 30...54 a square now 85.50 at abc. WOW.:no:

bcdemon 06-22-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 747 (Post 948143)
I can't believe how much shingles have gone up. When i roofed the house lanmark 30...54 a square now 85.50 at abc. WOW.:no:

That's the problem with requesting a (basic) quote on the internet. I can still buy Landmarks for around $60 sq, yet I've seen other regions paying over $100 sq. And labour price goes up with material price.

On that note, $1650 for 5sq re & re would be expensive for my area.

OldNBroken 06-22-2012 08:41 AM

$56/sq here. Amazingly my best price for 25yr 3-tab is over $70.
Anyways, Pricing is always regional but $1800+ is in the ballpark.
$1650 isn't too unreasonably low as a side job. I'd be wary if it was any lower.

747 06-23-2012 07:01 PM

My gargage isn't insulated and doesn't have a attic. I was trying to figure out what the sheathing is. Looks like osb but not osb. The walls are done in it also It says 7/16 ruffdek. Never heard of this before. Must of been something out years ago.:laughing:

josking 06-23-2012 08:28 PM

I have a 1200 sq ft flat roof. I need to strip and re-roof. I have gone over an existing roof and done plenty of shingle roofs, but never striped a flat roof. What am I up against, any special tools? Do I heat the tar on the paraphit wall?

joecaption 06-23-2012 09:27 PM

Josking go back and add your own post, do not add onto someone elses.

Windows on Wash 06-23-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcdemon (Post 948924)
That's the problem with requesting a (basic) quote on the internet. I can still buy Landmarks for around $60 sq, yet I've seen other regions paying over $100 sq. And labour price goes up with material price.

On that note, $1650 for 5sq re & re would be expensive for my area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldNBroken (Post 948960)
$56/sq here. Amazingly my best price for 25yr 3-tab is over $70.
Anyways, Pricing is always regional but $1800+ is in the ballpark.
$1650 isn't too unreasonably low as a side job. I'd be wary if it was any lower.

$60 a square....wow!!

You guys want to drop ship me some stuff..?

747 06-24-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 950025)
$60 a square....wow!!

You guys want to drop ship me some stuff..?

Exactly here landmark 30 one place over the line in indiana $79 a square ABC $85.50:laughing:

747 06-24-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josking (Post 949947)
I have a 1200 sq ft flat roof. I need to strip and re-roof. I have gone over an existing roof and done plenty of shingle roofs, but never striped a flat roof. What am I up against, any special tools? Do I heat the tar on the paraphit wall?

Most flat or extremely low pitched roofs are done in modified butane. This is a torch application. No roofer here will advise a person to do modified butane. You could smoke the whole roof.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved