Recently received high winds and ping pong ball sized hail. We had damage to the home siding holes and dents etc. I called 3 contractors to look at the damage and provide estimates to turn into insurance..
Contractor #1 told me the shigles on my home were certainteed horizon, these shingles are currently the subject of a law suit. Anyway the contractor recommended an entire roof replacement siting hail strikes and wind damaged shingles.
Contractor #2 Told me a similar story as the first contractor, the roof is damaged beyond repair and a replacement is necessary.
Contractor # 3 has been on the roof and has concluded that replacement is also the best case for the home.
We liked contractor # 2 he is the most local and seemed to be the most knowledgeable and likeable.
Our situation is this: the insurance company sent out the adjuster and the adjuster concluded that the roof is not damaged enough to warrant replacement and recommends that 80 shingles be replaced.
Contractor #2 met with the adjuster and exclaimed that he is not comfortable replacing shingles, and thus wont be able to warranty his work.
I spoke to the agent about the impass, he sent an e-mail to the head office of the insurance company. The Insurance company hired a structural engineer to assess the roof. The engineer of coarse sided with the adjuster.
My question(s) after all this is: 1. Can individual shingles be taken out and replaced without causing further damage?
2. If the Certainteed shingles are no longer available(pulled from the market) will we be able to reasonably match the current color with another brand?
3. Should I insist the insurance company replace the entire roof. The home was built in March 2003
Now since we are somewhat in limbo figuring out what to do, we have spotted 4 seperate water spots on our ceiling since the storm 6 weeks ago.
I have notified the insurance company of these spots, they are supposed to send someone out, its been 8 days and no calls about setting up a time to see the water spots.
I'm frustrated that the people all around me have each gotten a new roof, paid for by their insurance companies, and I have been told no.
What to do next , any advice would be appreciated.
This is my first ever claim, auto, home or anything.
It is not unusual for three contractors to tell you that you need a new roof. They make their living putting roofs on. Nobody wants to do a small (80 shingle) replacement. That is not a great money maker. Since the insurance company found an engineer to make a report, you will have a hard time competing with that. You can hire your own engineer, but you will pay a few hundred bucks, with no guarantee of satisfaction. Some insurance companies are tougher than others. The tougher companies also offer the best rates. There is lies the correlation. As for the water spots, a few shingles off the roof will generally not cause the roof to leak.
To your other question, yes, shingles can be toothed in successfully as long as the other shingles are in decent shape. On an 8 year old roof like yours, I think it will work. As far as the match goes, most times it will not be a 100% match. If all the damage is confined to one area, then perhaps all the shingles in that area can be replaced to give you a better match. Many times when dealing with insurance, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If you are confident with your assessment, then by all means keep after them and see if they will agree to cover more of the damage. Keep track off all of the correspondence with the insurance company, engineer, roofing contractors, etc.
Horizon shingles have been off the market (at least in my area) for a couple of years. No other company (to my knowledge) made anything that looks like the Horizon. So, unless you can find some old inventory laying around somewhere (80 shingles would require at least 4 bundles), there's no chance of matching the existing.
All that being said, if the proper shingles were available, it is possible to remove and replace individual shingles.
Is all the damage on one plane of the roof?
An answer to your question is one I unfortunately was not privvy to. The meeting with the adjuster contractor and engineer were conducted without my prior knowledge.
My adjuster should have contacted me with times and dates of any meetings in regard to my claim.
Yet I was not contacted and have learned the information above from my contractor, many hours later. I was not happy having been left out of this process and should have been given an opportunity to attend the meetings to ask questions, hear the assessment first hand straight from the adjuster.
This is a bone of contention I have with the very poorly conducted process.
I feel I should have been the first person contacted and kept in the loop on meetings conducted.
So, I don't know the answer to your question.
If the insurance company sticks to it's guns, then I will insist that they provide a roofing contractor that will do the job they are advocating, matching shingles as well as humanly possible with a shingle of equal or better quality than whats on there currently and with written warranty against leakage and wind.
I would potentially accept that as a solution.
At this point I haven't found a contractor that will patch and provide a leakage/wind warranty.
What do you think of that solution, should I hold out for more?
Like to move on with this and get on with my life.
At the very least you are entitled to see the report by the engineer. Like I said previously, keep fighting for what you feel you are entitled to.
But remember, just because other neighbors received total roof replacement, doesn't mean you will get the same. In the last ten years these hail damage claims have skyrocketed. I doubt that mother nature has produced more storms.
One thing to for surely get done.....get rid of that cheap ins. company and get someone else. Do you want to pay your deductible for a patch job or a whole new roof? With the patch job, are you financially back tyo where you were before the storm? Probably not. I don't see a way to match shingles of that age with wear and fading.
Just say you are selling the house. Will it sell easier with a roof that is all the same or one that clearly shows patches?
If they won't budge, take what they give you, call your agent and let him know why you are cancelling....get someone else and wait for the next storm.
I believe my insurance adjuster is completely un-professional, irresponsible and negligent. He sent in his report to the home office stating that my contractor agreed with the adjuster and engineers assessment and ok'd the patch.
I spoke to the contractor, he viamently denies agreeing with them at any point.
And because the adjuster failed to notify me of any meetings regarding my claim, I wasn't there to hear any of the conversation. (another reason I claim unprofessionalism and neglegence)
Really all I'm asking for is piece of mind knowing that I will not continue to get water spots on my ceiling as a result of the storm.
Don't mention or act on dropping their service until the situation is settled.
Get a registered letter from the contractor who met with the adjuster stating exactly what he/she had to say during the meeting.
Ask for a copy of the engineers report.
Ask for a meeting with the adjuster and his/her supervisor.
If still unsatisfied at this point, contact an attorney and ask for advice.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.|
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.