Roofing Proposal: Can Vs Ridgevent - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Roofing Proposal: Can vs Ridgevent

We are in the process of getting bids to reroof our house...tearing off the old composition shingles and replacing with arch-type composition. Roof pitch is 10:12 with attic spaces at ridge areas.

One roofing bid shows different options and prices of using can or ridge venting.

Another roofing bid priced out ridge venting only. I sent an email asking for an amended bid showing both can and ridge venting. The reply I got they do not use can vents because they do not work well and will not warranty and if I insisted on the can vents they will lower the warranty. (Their statement did not make sense: will not warranty vs lower warranty if can vents used...which is it?)

I am sure there are pros and cons of each can vents and ridge vents for any given situation. I am getting the feeling that this bid is trying to force us into using ridge venting.

Also, will not give me pricing on the amended bid unless I tell them how they look in my decision...

Kinda get the feeling that this aint right...am I wrong or missing something?

Advertisement

casey_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I agree with him. I would walk away if a home owner dictated to me what to specify. Can vents dont look good and dont work well, only exception is on a hip roof. Remember You need a good roofer more than he needs you.
Good Luck
RooferJim

Advertisement

RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Can vents work great, but you need a gajillion of them to meet the mfg specifications. Theyre ugly, too.

Remember...three cans for every 150 sq ft of attic floor space.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooferJim
I agree with him. I would walk away if a home owner dictated to me what to specify. Can vents dont look good and dont work well, only exception is on a hip roof. Remember You need a good roofer more than he needs you.
Good Luck
RooferJim
I agree.

No offense Casey, but why do you want a price on something that you don't want? A homeowner does not warranty the roof, the roofer does.

I have one homeowner now that every time I see him he wants a price on this or that. I think he is using up his insurance money and keeps adding things to the list. The more he bothered me the faster the price went up because I knew exactly what he was doing. Little off subject, but had to tell a story.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #5

First...there is no insurance money involved in our reroof. Second, I was only trying to learn and understand in order to make an intelligent choice. Third, I am not one to "bother" anyone as I submitted four questions to the roofer regarding the bid...and was "invited" to contact him if I had any questions (there was no intention of wasting reams of paper). Fourth, asking a question is not "dictating"...there was no "thou shalt do this and not that". And lastly, and I humbly admit my oversight....we do have a hip roof, so I believe RooferJim, that my question on this topic remains valid.

...and no offense taken MJW, I am not that thin skinned and enjoy a tongue lashing since I find this an amusing aspect of life! I do need a "good roofer"...but also need to cull the knucklehead roofers out of the mix, homeowners dont need them.

On a lighter side, at least with a ridge vent there will be no cans for the Flickers to drum on early in the morning...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #6

thats important a hip roof is hard to vent properly. dont know how many feel of ridge and soffit you have but you may want to also consider an electric powerd thermostat and humidistat controled roof vent.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #7

Good point RooferJim. I am fortunate in that I have a "long" ridge line with hips are each end. The length of this roof line "between" the peaks of each hip is at least 50 feet. I would have to measure for an exact but that should be close...could be a bit longer than that, no shorter. I will look into the "controlled" roof style vents and bounce this around to see what others think too, along with a better accurate measurement and description of our roof.

Oh, we have decided to go with the ridge venting...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB
Can vents work great, but you need a gajillion of them to meet the mfg specifications. Theyre ugly, too.

Remember...three cans for every 150 sq ft of attic floor space.
When you say can vents i'm assuming you mean the square vents which run the ridge on back of a house. Is this correct? I didn't know they were called can vents. As you know they are huge here in illinois. I was told that alot of roofers don't like ridge vents because unless you get a expensive one you could have problems with the snow blowing under them when winter shows up and the winds pick up. Do you agree with that aaron. They use those square vents all the time in new construction in illinois they do use a lot of them on a roof. I have turbines on my roof. I kind of like them because first thing i do is always look to see if there spinning.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #9

Ridge vents dont leak if you do it right and use GAF Cobra. lets face it those pot vents look stupid dont they? We get plenty of snow and wind driven rain where I work and ridge vents are no problem.
RooferJim

www.jbennetteroofing.com
Old 05-12-2006, 03:02 AM   #10
registered

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooferJim
Ridge vents dont leak if you do it right and use GAF Cobra. lets face it those pot vents look stupid dont they? We get plenty of snow and wind driven rain where I work and ridge vents are no problem.
RooferJim

www.jbennetteroofing.com
Oh i forgot they couldn't go with a ridge vent on my house because i have two cabel vents. Something about your not suppose to mix the two.

Advertisement

747 is offline   Reply With Quote