Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #1

Share |
Roofing project online

Hi Folks,

A friend of mine told me about this site, and recommended that I share the roofing project that I am undertaking. It's available online at:

http://www.AntlerProperties.com/roof.html

Feel free to let me know what you think, and if there are any suggestions you have. Weather permitting, I plan on tackling the next section the weekend of April 29-30th.

Regards,
TomC
TomC (Md) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #2

Roofing project online

OH NO, I hope you plan on restoring or repairing the slate roof. It should be a felony to throw away, " or take it off and sell" a slate roof. there are some slates however that will delaminate and get soft after about a hundred years or so. but most will last for centeries if taken care off . Its also great for the architecture and property value to do the right thing.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Roofing project online

There are some flaws, but overall, if youre not a roofer, that was a decent job. If you want me to post what I found wrong, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
renovations

Roofing project online

I want you to post what you found wrong. That's how we will all get better at it.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
MJW

Roofing project online

No ice&water is one thing. Probably should have been re-sheathed and I wouldn't use 3 tabs. Besides that, not bad for cleanup and the rest of the job.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:41 AM   #6
renovations

Roofing project online

Yeah, I woulda used 30# on the eaves, sheathed it first and spent another $ on arch's.

Other comments?
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Roofing project online

Nails appear to be over-driven
Felt should be under the perimeter metal
Shingles are racked
Step flashing did not cover over nail in previous flashing

These are basic installation issues, and do not even address options like ice barrieers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
MJW

Roofing project online

"Nails appear to be over-driven" cheap thin shingles
"Felt should be under the perimeter metal" Felt goes over on the bottom and under on the rakes
"Shingles are racked" I agree some roofers don't
"Step flashing did not cover over nail in previous flashing" Also agree
Old 04-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #9

Roofing project online

took a look at the other pics and "my God" what else can I say.
RooferJim
Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 AM   #10
Commercial Roofing

Roofing project online

THe felt does not go over the bottom edge metal. I just checked my wrapper to make sure. Also, cheap thin shingles still have to be nailed flush, not dimpled. The roofing mfgs do NOT recommend racking. It creates ugly roofs that tend to blow off more easily, so they say. I stairstep everything.

Last edited by AaronB; 04-26-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #11
MJW

Roofing project online

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB
THe felt does not go over the bottom edge metal. I just checked my wrapper to make sure.
Well, put it under then. And let the ice backup under the metal and drip down into the metal fascia and soffit.
On the I&W boxes it specifically says to put the drip edge on first. It is required by all the building inspectors and is considered code in MN.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #12

Roofing project online

No,No,No I&W first then drip edge. if you put the drip edge on bare sheathing its against code and Grace "the original" I&W aplication instructions. we like to seal the joint at the top of the facia so we usually install a cedar ground strip to secure the ice shield similar to a termination bar detail then put the drip edge over that. Then you have a really tight seal.
RooferJim
"roofing advise free of charge"

www.jbennetteroofing.com
Old 04-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
MJW

Roofing project online

We did that for years and it has been proven wrong. If it goes onto the fascia then it will work fine, but....what if you have to replace the fascia and/or gutter and not the roof. Then your seal is broken.
This is all done using style D roof edge or gutter flashing.

We don't use Grace because it seems to be a little too sticky for summer time. I know, I know, it is the best stuff since sliced bread, but don't you guys find it hard to apply when it is warm?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #14
MJW

Roofing project online

These pictures I took for the building inspector. This is what they want to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Roofing project online-dsc00028.jpg   Roofing project online-dsc00031.jpg  
Old 04-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #15

Roofing project online

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW
These pictures I took for the building inspector. This is what they want to see.
Maybe your inspectors like felt over eave flashing but mine don't. Regaurdless ice and water shield should be used. But if it isn't then starter strip seals to felt. And felt doesn't seal to anything. So after roof is installed you can pick up felt, starter, and first course, peak underneath and see plywood. So you are making a big leaker there for an ice damn.

Bob
bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote