DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roofing over old felt!!

36K views 65 replies 11 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 · (Edited)
A roofer after he gave me a estimate, I hire to put on my roof...He took off old roof but said the felt is good and need not have to install new felt..He also said everything else like valleys ect ect is good and need not be install...He did install new vents..He but all the new material back in his truck and I gather he took it back and got his money back..My concerns is if the old felt is good was this ok to do I had timberline 30 year shingles put on roof..I am a old woman and very use to getting the shaft when dealing with contractors...I had siding and windows put in and yes I got shafted but I am so use to it...I just concern about my roof was this ok and yes I never got a refund on the material he use...so he pocket that on top of his cost he told me...when I ask about the stuff he did not use the same thing I hear over and over, will we use a extra man to get this on faster or was more then we thought it would cost...I am tire of fighting with it over the years I just give in now....But I like to get good news that felt not that important and my roof will be good....

#2 ·
This is not good practice to leave old felt on the roof.
First of all how much was damaged when the old roof was taken off.
2nd its all full of nail holes,at very least he should have felted over it.
3rd valley flashing would have to be full of nail holes as well & probablty will not last the life of a new roof
4th he has billed you for something he did not provide.
You have been shafted & could probably take him to court over this to have the roof replaced.
Does he have a business licence. WCB or insurance?
Have you paid him in full already?
If this was a truck & ladder guy & you paid him cash or has nothing for assets, you may just be stuck with this roof.
Always check out your contractor and ask him to provide a business licence number, WCB number and insurance.
Dale Chomechko
DC Roofing Inc
DC Roofing Inc

#3 ·
There's no way to remove a roof and have an intact felt layer left beneath.
And even if there was, it would be 20 yrs older than it should be.
Is there a friend or family member who could help you pursue this "roofer"?
If not there should be some sort of consumer advocacy group in your area.

You get a complete refund.

#8 ·
There's no way to remove a roof and have an intact felt layer left beneath.
And even if there was, it would be 20 yrs older than it should be.
Is there a friend or family member who could help you pursue this "roofer"?
If not there should be some sort of consumer advocacy group in your area.

You get a complete refund.
We never ruin the tar paper. Pull off the shingles, pull nails, then the tar paper rolls up nicely plus cleaning up 90% of the nails.

I'll tell you that 15# paper 20 years ago is MUCH better than 15# paper that is made today.

Why would she get a full refund?

To the OP....if it was in the estimate, it should have been done. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you should get a refund of what the contractor did not do.

#4 ·
Contact the senior center where you live. Get some help. You lost the warranty on the roofing material because of the used paper. Pursue legal help. Be safe, G

#5 ·
First, what does the written contract say that you both agreed to?

Next, if he was supposed to remove and replace the felt paper, he should have.

Contact your local Attorney Generals Office to get the quickest response back from the guy if he does not return phone calls or if you can even find him.

Finally, it IS imortant, so that the uderneath wood decking could have been inspected and repaired if necessary.

My concern is, that if this person would stoop so low to not conform to the most basic of tasks, what else did they omit from the work that you do not know about?

What City and State are you from?

If you want, leave the contractors name here to or send a Private Message with his contact information to me.

Ed

#16 ·
Yes, I use felt

Yes it works as a water barrier

Empty house 2 door sup has shinngles sagging
Guess whats protecting the inside & has been for months
THE FELT

I don't use OSB, never would on a roof

HACK job

NO felt as agreed to
NO metal edge as agreed to
NO new valleys - agreed to ??

Ed pretty much nailed it:

Next, if he was supposed to remove and replace the felt paper, he should have.

Finally, it IS important, so that the underneath wood decking could have been inspected and repaired if necessary.

My concern is, that if this person would stoop so low to not conform to the most basic of tasks, what else did they omit from the work that you do not know about?

Ed

#6 · (Edited)
Solid Rock Services
23624 West 59th Street
Shawnee, KS 66226

Owner - Urban Prescott Phone # 913-422-0888
913-636-1827
913-378-8338

It states on contract quote: Tear off old roof
install felt- did not do
install metal edge- did not do
install plumbling boots- dont know what this is
install six vents - he did this
install timberline 30yr roofing
install ridge cap- dont know if he did this
he did not install new valleys

I updated my acc so you can get my email

#7 ·
Yes, you've been ripped off!:( As Ed already said, contact your state Attorney General's office, but also call your local District Attorney's office and file a complaint.

We had more than our share of vultures like him descend on the coast after Katrina. The ones who have been caught are currently enjoying long vacations as guests of the state, and fines and restitution will make sure they can't afford the tools to get back into their scam businesses for a long time, if ever. I think they're also barred from ever obtaining any kind of contractor's license in this state.:thumbup:

#12 ·
Felt is not a water barrier. It has no effect on the ability of the shingles to keep out the water.

Felt/underlayment/tarpaper is used for only a few things.

1. keep roof mostly dry until roofing is applied
2. to prevent a possibility of shingles sticking to sheathing
3. in the rare event of a blow off shingle it keep most of the water out until it is repaired

The 3rd one isn't really relevant. Most of us here have rarely had a shingle blow off, if ever.

I agree about the contract/estimate, but the tarpaper there or not, new or old, does not effect the ability of the shingles to keep water out. Alot of roofers have done roofs with no paper at all in the past.

It's a bad comparison............

#15 ·
Well, what would I know.

Have you used any felt lately? Would you trust it as a water barrier on your house with no shingles on it?

I'll let you know that EVERY roof out there with 15# felt on it......it is not water proof without the shingles. It will shed some water, but it is not a water barrier.

That being said...it still would take alot of water and a very long time to rot the wood away. OSB is probably more waterproof than some of the 15# felt they sell nowdays.

I&W, I would consider a water barrier, even with nail holes in it.

I don't think you would get any reputable roofer to leave a house with just 15# felt on it in a rain storm.

#17 ·
Ed is right, but he never mentioned how new felt is necessary to keep the roof water proof.

Do a search in google about felt being a water barrier. Simply not true.

I do have to disagree with Ed a little about removing the paper to inspect the sheathing. This is not a standard for every roof. There can be too many factors involved.

How old is the roof?
Are the roofers educated enough to see where problem areas may be?
Is it vented properly?
What direction is the roof facing?
How old is the home?
What kind of sheathing is it?

All I am saying is that the roof should not be considered worthless, and a full refund is absurd.

15# paper will NOT protect any roof for months.

Why not use OSB? Do you have a good reason? Or is it just hear-say?

OSB is on 90% of the homes out there....especially on a roof. I can understand why not to use OSB on walls, but that is another topic.

#21 ·
Tell me what the felt does underneath the shingles.

There are many unknowns in this thread. Maybe the contractor was the lowest bid???? Sometimes corners are cut and you get what you pay for.....

Take it to court......

Was the labor performed? Yes, mostly
Is there a problem with the end result of the job? No
Where the shingles applied? yes
Is it to code? maybe....new valleys is not a code, even though everyone should replace them.
Was it inspected? ???????
Does the Contractor guarantee his work? ?????

I'm not saying what the Contractor did was correct, but there is no way you will get a full refund for not replacing the felt.

Next time get a referred Contractor. Trust that contractor, and not what you read on the net because some people are very misinformed and mislead to believe things that are not true.

#28 ·
Read AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit55

install felt- did not do

#30 ·
Read AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit55

install felt- did not do

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.