Roofing Options? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roofing options?

Hello. I am in dire need of advice, so hopefully someone will be able to help. I have a small roof (under 150 sq. ft.) which is leaking very badly and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I'm highly ignorant about types of roofing, and am relying on friends and family (experienced in carpentry, electrical work, and some other trades)
for labor. I am a student and therefore cannot afford to hire a contractor to do this for me, but I need to do this quickly - as inexpensively as possible. As a result, I have begun an extensive investigation into roofing methods and materials.

Details: The roof is about 15 ft. x 8 ft. with about a 10 - 15 deg slope (haven't done exact measurements yet). Ripping out the ceiling and insulation has revealed the plywood sheathing to be quite rotten in spots so I'm planning on tearing it off and replacing it. The rafters are in good shape and will stay. Currently, the roof is tar and obviously in quite bad condition. (The best part is that this roof was certified prior to my buying the house. Clearly, that counted for a lot.)

The big question: It seems at this point that SBS modified bitumen is the best way to go, but I'm a little worried about the installation - I've read so many replies discouraging other people from the torch down method I would really like to stay away from that. Are the cold-applied and self-adhesive methods very inferior? Alternatively, is there another option that would work for me?

Thank you so much for any advice.

Jessica

Advertisement

JSiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Roofing options?

EPDM rubber available at Menards. Glues and flashings, etc. They have most of the systems. GOOD LUCK! YOU'LL NEED IT.

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Roofing options?

You could always get the peel& stick modifieds like Polyglass Elastoflex or GAF Liberty its best to first put down a base sheet "or layer of ice&water shield" first then you have a 2ply roof. its not all that hard but there are some tricks of the trade that if I told, you id have to kill you.
Good Luck

RooferJim

www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Roofing options?

....and self adhered modifieds are garbage. pressure sensitive seams my eye.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Roofing options?

Well all modifieds are not on the same page as a rubber or TPO roof of course, but this is a DIY board and its fairly simple to install without the training you would need for EPDM. Rubber roofs can be a night mare as a DIY project, but not modifieds, just dont install it in the winter.
think like a raindrop

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

Roofing options?

The install, IMO, may be easier, but the SA is definitely not a quality system. Seams not bonded except by a glue or seam adhesive...prone to failure.

Mod bit torch is one of the best. EPDM is relatively easy on the low slope roofing scale, too, but you do need to know what youre doing.

Advertisement