Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Roofing MINIMUM pitch?

What would be a good minimum pitch for shingles? I have a small roof over the 5x5 landing going to my side door entrance to my house. It was hit by a tree and I decided to extend it to also cover the three steps leading to the landing when I did the repair.

Now it is time to replace the shingles, since the previous shingles looked like a green carpet (from algae and moss) I was concerned that maybe the pitch was too flat for shingles. The entire section is 56" from house to edge, with a 13" rise. Is this a 1/5 pitch?

Are shingles the way to cover this roof, or should I be using something else? I considered roll roofing until I read all of the horror stories - I just don't want a repeat of before with moss growing up there because the pitch is not steep enough.

Thanks In Advance
Eric

ControlTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,028

Roofing MINIMUM pitch?

You're around 3/12. Use I&W shield, and me?? I like to shorten the exposure to 4" even though I hear it's not necessary. Haven't seen it hurt though. Use HDD nails. Not those EG 'roofing' nails. And get algae resistant shingles. Use the 25 year shingles, minimum.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote