Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roofing material over shiplap

We're selling our house and the roof is at the end of its life - the house was built in the 20's and has shiplap underlayment with one layer of roofing material over it.

Our intention was to go over it with a new roof - now I'm hearing that some companies won't warranty over shiplap - can anyone address that and recommend options......we really can't afford to re-sheet and aren't even sure it's necessary - please help!

davesjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,278

Ship Lap is a profile of siding material, not roof sheathing. You sure that's what it is?
If it's really just 1 X 6's, it's shingled over all the time if any repairs are done to any broken boards before roofing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Other building materials (like board insulation) have a shiplapped edges, so it's not limited to siding and could have been used as roof decking. I imagine the siding is shiplapped as well. Regardless, assuming the boards are in good condition you should have no trouble. Due to age and the amount of roofs installed on them they might be more likely to split and crack, so some contractors prefer to cover the old decking with sheets of obs or plywood.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,278

(OSB not OBS)
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Older sections of my town are all shiplapped roofs. 1x8s, 1x10s and 1x12s were the board of choice back in the day. Unfortunately that day was 1955, and those old boards have since dried out.

Our company won't warranty a re-roof on a ship lap roof unless we can re-sheet it. No way to guarantee ALL the nails will bite into wood due to splitting.

That said, depending on your region (more humid than mine), your boards may still be good enough for shingling, but you would have to have a roofer come out and check.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote