Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Which roofing material?

Taking into consideration the cost involved and ease of installation, what would be the best roofing material for a low slope roof? I was thinking of the peal n stick but not too sure on how that would work with the base sheet. If I stick it down on the plywood, will I ever be able to get it off later?

nadorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Which roofing material?

Best or cheapest? The two are not the same. You said best, then you said cost consideration. So I am confused.

It depends on the application, size and use of the roof. It depends on who is installing it.

There are numerous flat roofing options. What is "best" depends on the use of the roof and design. There are seldom ever any one size fits all roofing solutions. Learn more about your flat roofing options here: http://reliableamerican.us/services/...e-roofing.html

A self adhering modified bitumen roof is fairly DIY friendly and if the roof ties into a shingle roof I sometimes prefer the granulated modified bitumen roofing system. A self adhering modified bitumen roof will require more upfront investment than some other roofing systems. EPDM is also another DIY friendly roofing system. Though EPDM is single ply and is less forgiving if you make any mistakes. Where as the self adhering modified bitumen is usually at least 2 layers, preferably 3, so chances for failure are minimized. I usually recommend people not try doing DIY roofing if they don't have a good understanding of construction methods. A repair? Sure, but a roof replacement if done wrong, can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage.

If you are hiring a roofing contractor to do this, that really opens up tons of varieties. I personally prefer thermoplastic membranes sucha s PVC and TPO. I can really TRUST the heat welded seams. My guys really like EPDM, and so do I, for the ease of installation, but the adhesives at the seams and penetrations are known to have issues over time.

If you choose to do this yourself, read the installation instructions and perhaps the manufacturer will have some videos. The base sheet can be nailed or screwed down. Then you would install the optional adhesive mid ply, or the mid ply can be used as a base sheet and stuck down directly to the wood. Finally the granulated cap sheet installed also with adhesive. I don't like self adhering modified bitumen roofs on really dead level roofs. I always want a good slope with this system. So far so good.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Which roofing material?

I only have funds from the insurance claim so I have to stay within a budget to get all the work done. I guess I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

The roof is on my shop and is 2400 sq ft and it's a low slope 1.25/12 pitch that I will be installing myself.

Thanks for all the info, it is extremely helpful!

Last edited by nadorp; 11-02-2012 at 05:12 PM.
nadorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 746

Which roofing material?

Nail a base sheet with cap nails, 1 layer of peel and stick base and 1 layer of cap sheet. Laps all off set. but it might be cheaper to install a EPDM.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote