Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #1

Share |

Roofing, Labor only ????

Quick question. I live in Minnesota where we had a lot of hail damage this summer. I have the Cousin in-law that is going to redue all of the siding and the Brother in-law redoing the roof. Both have experience in roofing. I mainly have done electrical work and pluming when it comes to construction.

Cousin in-law is quoting me for labor only on a 6/12 roof at $70 a sq.

Brother in-law says that's crazy and that labor only should be $160 a sq.

Which numbers are right ??

Thanks
Olie

olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #2

Roofing, Labor only ????

Labor is probably close to a third of the total bid. I live in Iowa and 150 for everything an above avg. price.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #3

Roofing, Labor only ????

o.k. so the 150 a square is labor AND material ??

Thanks in advance.

Olie
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Roofing, Labor only ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
o.k. so the 150 a square is labor AND material ??

Only if your company employs Illegals to do the work. For a 30 year roof materials will cost between $120-150 per square alone. Total labor materials and disposal & warranty we charge on average $400 per square
PKHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Roofing, Labor only ????

150 a sq is ridiculous for everything

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Roofing, Labor only ????

You think thats bad I just lost a job to a guy that bid $210/sq materials labor and disposal on a 50 year Tamko two layer strip
Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #7

Roofing, Labor only ????

you mean he bought it !

Old 10-29-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
PRO Siding Windows Roofs

Roofing, Labor only ????

YA good for him the thing was all cut up too 60sq
Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #9

Roofing, Labor only ????

I just received a bid for a new roof. $125/sq. which includes heavy roofers select felt, new drip edge, Elk Prestigue HD shingles, all flashing and vent pipe flashing. This does not include removal and disposal of existing roof. I am remodeling and have removed over half the existing roof. $30/sq. to remove and dispose the remaining roof.
spebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #10

Roofing, Labor only ????

and I`m sure he`s licensed &insured,pays workman`s comp. etc.....NOT

Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #11

Roofing, Labor only ????

I have not seen proof of insurance and workman's comp insurance, but I asked and he claimed he had insurance. The bid includes a written 5 year workmanship guarantee. He was recommended by my insurance agent.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 AM   #12

Roofing, Labor only ????

I see so many people being duped by the "Claim" that they have insurance.

Actually, they may even be able to show a certificate of insurance, but you need to contact the insurance carrier and find out what "Exemptions" or "Exclusions" they have.

Do they use day laborers who they 1099 as independant employees? Firstly, if they do so, that is not acceptable with the IRS and if they do that, then each day laborer would have to have their own insurance policy.

About Workers Compensation. the owner can choose to "Exclude" himself from the policy. That means that that person is NOT covered.

So too can the individual "1099 Day Laborers" or subcontractors. They can all "Exclude" themselves from the policy coverage.

Therefor, none of these "Employees" are actually covered!

A rate too cheap means they are shifting some aspect of their overhead burden onto the shoulders of the unknowing consumer.

If you want to accept the responsibility, then choose to do so, but if not, then be prepared to investigate and find out how much potential risk you are assuming if anything does happen.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 10-31-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #13

Roofing, Labor only ????

Well put,ED

Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #14

Roofing, Labor only ????

Ed the roofer, I appreciate the comments. I am not sure if there is any way for me to verify what insurance, if any, he has without a lot of effort. I trust my insurance agent, I have known him for years. He used this guy to roof his house and his mother's house. It's a crap shoot any time you have workers at your home. I have run off several crews in the past when it's apparent they are not professional. (The last being a concrete crew.) I am always on site when work is being done on the house.

This same guy sprayed an elastomeric (sp) type roofing on my metal shop roof this past summer and did a very good job. We have had several 3" rains with no leaks. No illegals were on site during this job. It was a crew of 4. It's my understanding that a different crew will be installing the Elk roofing on my house so it remains to be seen if any illegals show up for this job. The shingles were placed on top of the house today, Elk Prestique HD which I understand is a 30 year shingle with a few bundles of Z ridge. They also delivered color matching valley flashing, new color matching drip edge for the entire roof, and new vent flashings. The contract also specifies new flashing around the skylights and chimmey with this flashing painted to match. We did make a change in the contract to the felt. Instead of using heavy roofers select felt, an ice shield product is to be used (I know nothing about this product but he recommended it when he found out the roof slope was 3:12 instead of 4:12). The product delivered was GAF WeatherWatch. This change increased the price from $125/sq. to $140/sq. Again, that does not include removal and disposal of the few squares of roofing remaining. That is an extra $30/sq. The guy seems to be making an effort to do a good job. My water well is now covered by the roof as a result of the remodeling work. Provisions must be made to pull the well pump so a hole is required in the roof. He had a sheet metal company fabricate flashing for the hole. The cost, $18.

It's my understanding that roofing labor varies widely across the country. I'm in Oklahoma.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #15

Roofing, Labor only ????

The only trouble and time it would take to verify the things I told you about would be a phone call to his insurance agent or broker and a request for the certificate of insurance.

It is too bad that so many people out there feel that one phone call is not worth the hassle to find out what needs to be discovered prior to signing a contract.

Yes, OK does have cheaper labor rates than the majority of the more populated areas around the country.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote