Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Roofing issues

We just got a heat wave today, it was +12 and it's actually still like +9 now. To add insult to injury it's raining. There is a good 2-3 feet of snow on the roof, this much snow melting this fast is just bad.

I checked in the attic and the plywood is soaking right up in lot of places. There's only one spot so far where water is leaking through the drywall (not dripping but I see a wet spot), same spot I fixed when I bought the house... inspector told me it was most likely due to an issue that got fixed as the roof looks fairly new.

I will shovel the roof first chance I get, unfortunately it's late and I just noticed this now, and I work tomorrow. But obviously I have a pretty serious issue. I don't see any specific area where it could be leaking, it just seems to be lot of different spots. there is one spot that is very bad where two joists are very wet. I suspect it may be the vent that is there, but there are other spots that look wet too and there are no vents or anything there.

What could be a cause of this ice damming, would bad venting be it, or am I looking at a more serious issue?

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Roofing issues

No pictures of the inside the attic or the roof lines, it's anyone guess.
If someone replaced the roof and cheaped out on the price and did not replace the roof jacks at some point it's going to leak.
Not enough insulation, no ridge vent, not enough venting at the soffits, soffit vents covered with insulation, no storm and ice shield on lower edge of roof, no drip cap, gloged up gutters can all cause ice damms and leaks.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Roofing issues

Here's some pics that may help.

I punched a hole where it's leaking so the water can be released. I'm hoping this will minimize mold. The smaller hole I had to leave since there's no way for me to place a bucket, it's almost aligned with the cabinet. very bad spot

Hopefully the water from that spot will just go to the other hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Roofing issues-dsc04235.jpg   Roofing issues-dsc04237.jpg   Roofing issues-dsc04239.jpg   Roofing issues-dsc04240.jpg   Roofing issues-dsc04242.jpg  

Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #4

Roofing issues

Looks to high to be ice build up damage.

Last edited by joecaption; 03-07-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Roofing issues

+1

That would be one heck of and ice damn.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
Stay-at-home GC

Roofing issues

Anybody see any baffles?

Are there soffit vents under the eaves?

What is the black stuff on the sheathing? Is that roofing tar?

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Wire Chewer

Roofing issues

There's no baffles and yeah think that's tar or caulk. It looks like a repair was done from inside at one point or something. kinda odd.

Hard to tell from the pics but the plywood is soaked. I will go up the roof today to check out the ice situation. With this hot/cold weather we've been having it wont surprise me if it's dammed to the top.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
MJW

Roofing issues

You are right red squirrel. With that type of weather, ice can start to form and water will puddle under the snow and above the ice dam (which was created by the weather!). Eventually it will get through the shingles and underlayment. Shingles are not water proof, they just shed water.

Remove the snow so it can melt off.

Any exterior pics? What direction does this slope face?
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Doing This Way Too Long

Roofing issues

This looks like more of a pressure leak than an ice dam from the large area affected. Either way, getting the excess off is the first step if you can do it safely.

As stated, shingles are designed to shed water, they are not watertight. As long as nothing is interfering with it water runs downhill (I know we all know this)
When you get a heavy buildup of weight (snow) on top of slush or water the weight will push all that trapped slush and water in all directions, including uphill. Remove the weight and you alleviate the immediate problem.

If it's damming, steps can be taken to alleviate this in the future. If it is just snow and slush, like hurricanes and hailstorms, it is one of those natural things that happen occasionally. Yes, you can protect from it but you can't stop it from happening.

From that one pic it looks like there is a valley over that area. Easiest place for sitting water to infiltrate

Last edited by OldNBroken; 03-08-2012 at 11:42 AM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

Roofing issues

Yeah I will try to get up there, I need to find my ski pants. There's a good 3 feet of snow on the roof so it will be tricky, and I don't know how slippery it will be. Thankfully the slope is not too bad.

I will try to get pics of the roof from outside.

Oh and that section of the roof is facing south. On the other side of the house there is a valley where the garage meets the house. It was very wet on that side too (though it does not look like it leaked to the insulation) and there was tons of icicles.

I just realized it's Friday tomorrow so think I'll wait till Saturday to go up there since I'll have more time. The heat wave has passed so we're back to the normal weather so that will buy me more time to fix it.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 03-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Roofing issues

Ok here's some more pics:

Front of house, hard to see but gives an idea of the snow/roof pitch:

http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/oth...m/dsc04252.JPG
http://gal.redsquirrel.me/thumbs/lrg-1259-dsc04253.JPG

Side that's leaking:
http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/oth...m/dsc04254.JPG
http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/oth...m/dsc04255.JPG
http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/oth...m/dsc04256.JPG

The leak would be around where the window in the first pic is. There's a vent on the top of the roof but it's fully covered in snow. Possibly part of the issue?

garage/house valley:
http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/oth...m/dsc04257.JPG

The garage is on the left of the pic, the other side of the roof where it's leaking is what intersects. No leaks there, but in the attic the plywood is very wet.

Lots of ice as you can see. The garage is not heated. Oddly there is quite a lot of water damage on the wall in the garage, but it's hard to tell how recent it is, it's always been there.

Other angle of the garage:
http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/oth...m/dsc04261.JPG
http://gal.redsquirrel.me/images/oth...m/dsc04262.JPG

I will be going on the roof tomorrow, so I might get more pics. I hope I don't kill myself LOL.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #12

Roofing issues

I would get the insulation that is water logged out of there first chance you get.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Roofing issues

yeah figured it would be easier to wait till it turns back to ice, going to take it out tonight, it's -20 so a good time to go in there.

suppose to get another +10 day Sunday. Too much heat too early. Not good at all.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Doing This Way Too Long

Roofing issues

Oh I feel for ya man. I'm getting pneumonia just looking at the pictures.
Normally that's what North Idaho looks like this time of year too but today it was 62 degrees. (sorry, am sure you didnt want to hear that)

Anyways, others that deal with insurance will know more than me but you might want to call your agent on this one.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #15

Roofing issues

Unless theres a tree limb sticking out of you roof or a tornado ripped off the shingles no insurance company is going to do anything to help on this one.