Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #1

Share |

roofing felt

Hello everyone. While a section of roof on my neighbors house was being repaired today I noticed the roofer didn't run the felt up the side of the house 3" from the roof like I was taught. He butted it against the sheathing. I told my neighbor to say something to the guy about it since we were standing right there and he hadn't done any nailing yet. The roofers response was "that's what flashing is for" and kept on working. I thought it was an important step. Am I wrong?
farrington135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:52 PM   #2

roofing felt

Your right. we would run ice & water shield on all roof the wall junctures rather than felt "better protection"
underlayment "felt or I&W " is usually code and manufactures specs. make him do it right

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:52 PM   #3

roofing felt

Hello,

In the twenty years that I have roofed I never run felt up the wall. I butt the wall. Ice and Water goes up the wall at least one foot. IMO there is nothing wrong not going up the wall. Different strokes for different folks.
As long as the step flashing and the head wall flashing are done correctly there should not be a problem.

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Commercial Roofing

roofing felt

We do not rely on ice and water shield to weatherproof our penetrations...it simply isnt necessary if you know how to roof.

In today's roofing market, much of the skilled labor has been replaced by "quick fix" types of products. Ice and water will certainly do the trick, but it is a sad state of affairs.

Do the flashings properly and you needn't worry about the felt turning up, nor IWS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #5

roofing felt

If the opportunity to add additional protection and peace of mind assurance is available, then utilize the ice and water shield membrane to run from the roof deck sheathing to about one foot up the wall.

Aaron is correct about the incompetant state of affairs by most installers in todays world, but the flashings must be done correctly, especially at the bottom corner and at the top of the wall intersection, where it abutts the dormers overhanging soffit.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #6

roofing felt

I beg to differ. underlayments "though not magical like some guys think" serves an important purpose as a roof and flashings last line of defence against wind blown vertical rain as well as ice back up. there is a reason for codes and specs. you guys that dont use it or argue the point show me you have had bad training and or fools council. I agree thats its sad state of affairs and there is much of this in the roofing trade when people are trained by hacks with bad habits and then think its the right way.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com

Last edited by RooferJim; 04-22-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
Commercial Roofing

roofing felt

I am not saying not to follow codes, not once have I ever mentioned that.

There have been non-leaky roofs much longer than there has been IWS. Then, of course, roofers knew how to roof, and not simply place peel n stick products all over everything and puff their chests out as if they had any real skills.

I say use it, but do not make that your excuse not to do things right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #8

roofing felt

I agree, underlayment plays an even more critical role on clay tile roofs that by nature are not very water tight. before I&W we used heavy felt, we used to fold it with a crease to go up the wall and sit nice in a vally.

RooferJim
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
MJW

roofing felt

No need to run it up the walls IMO. Have done it before, but most of the time it breaks or tears.
The main thing to worry about is the siders doing it correctly. House warp should be overlapped and taped to the flashings. Most of these leaks are from siders. I know, because I do both and have seen it done wrong many times.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #10

roofing felt

Felt wont break and tear if you crease it. If you dont run it up the wall why use it at all? just cut all the corners while your at it.

RooferJim
Old 04-27-2007, 07:02 AM   #11
MJW

roofing felt

Again, not right or wrong. I wrote "IMO" and that's that. It's a difference of opinion, not right or wrong. I have never seen this as a code.

If the siders do their job right, it will never leak.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #12

roofing felt

I would say right and wrong for sure. why would you cut corners and have no underlayment on the most critical roof area aka "the flashing wall juncture" ? maybee your in a mild climate and anything goes, you would have to be retrained if you roofed in the northeast. Full underlayment is certainly code in most places and of course good roofing practice But different strokes for different folks, bad roofing will lead to more work in the roofing industry and job security if you will, I just feel bad for the people that bought a new roof and didnt get there moneys worth from it.

RooferJim

Last edited by RooferJim; 04-27-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
MJW

roofing felt

Can you tell me what code you are going by? We have the IRC code, which I thought was from Canada.
We don't get strong weather? We can have 100 degree days, 3 feet of snow in one day, and we are in the belt of high storms and hail. I can show a map if you like.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #14

roofing felt

I just say, if the opportunity is there to provide the added protection, then do it.

I would install a strip of Grace I & W Shield from the decking to the wall transition area, not to hide any defective workmanship, and rely on that membranes weather-proofing capabilities, but to just do a better job than is expected.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #15

roofing felt

Its just hard to believe that you can attempt to debate the logic of having somthing as critical as flashing work installed on bare sheathing with no felt or ice shield underlayment. amazing

RooferJim