Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

Roofing Delima

Okay here is the problem, I have a 4/12 pitch roof and presently it has butt shingles. Where the garage starts the roof has a very slight turn maybe 3-4 degrees( its like a mini valley towards the front of the house) . The past installer overlapped the joint and we do not like this. I have to put a new roof on this year and looking for ideas on what to do about this joint. I will be using butt shingles. Look foward to your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Roofing Delima-ourhouse.jpg  

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Roofing Delima

What do you mean by butt shingles, and do you have a close up?

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #3

Roofing Delima

Sorry, thats short for what they call them up here.
Attached Thumbnails
Roofing Delima-butt-shingles.jpg  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #4

Roofing Delima

Okay now that its daylight here is a few pics. I have a few ideas but wanted to get some input as to what others might do in case I havent thought of something.
Attached Thumbnails
Roofing Delima-roof1.jpg   Roofing Delima-roof2.jpg  
Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Commercial Roofing

Roofing Delima

Ahhh...a little valley. Ice barrier, metal, and open valley if you do not like the closed cut valley. You could weave the valley, but I dont like that method either.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Roofing Delima

When you say he 'overlapped' the joint, do you mean you have a cut shingle line down the valley? Thats a pretty robust way to do it. You have a low pitched roof. An open valley could leak easier. Do you get snow in Vancouver BC? I suspect so. I dams could cause issues easier with an open valley. If you do not like that cut line then weave them AND use an ice/water shield membrane.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #7

Roofing Delima

What is a closed valley?.
I thought about the weaved way but have not decided how that will look
Old 02-12-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Roofing Delima

Closed would mean either weaved or overlapped in my terms. But whats technically called a "closed-cut" valley is where the shorter roof is shingled across the valley and up the other side. Then the larger roof is shingled across the valley, a chalk line is snapped down the valley (2" or so offset from center) and the top layer of shingles is cut to that line. Nail placement is important in this type of install (None within 8" of center of valley).

Regardless - I think you job calls for a woven, closed, valley. I think it would look best unless you want to highlight the jog in the house for some reason.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #9

Roofing Delima

Regardless - I think you job calls for a woven, closed, valley. I think it would look best unless you want to highlight the jog in the house for some reason.
This makes a lot of sense to me, No I am trying to hide this as much as possible. I first was going to have a open valley and then realized a open valley on a low pitch with just a slight turn would most likely have issues later so this sounds like the way to go. So in the meantime thanks to all and we will see if any other ideas pop up. I don't think there is any other way.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #10

Roofing Delima

Regardless of look, if you want it done right a closed valley (woven...each shingles is overlapped forming a slight "v" in the valley) is the way to go. Anything else is asking for leaks.

cibula11 is online now   Reply With Quote