Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #1

Share |

Roofing Costs

Hello. I'm a first time user. Hope some of you can help me.

I hired a roofer to shingle my roof (new particle board panels in place).

He stapled down the felt paper and returned the next week when I learned that he had no insurance, wasn't licensed, and said his helper didn't need insurance. When I said he needed ins. he actually ran from the house yelling back that he was taking me to court, which he now is.

My question: Does anyone know what I should expect to pay him for stapeling down the felt paper? How much per roll or sq. ft.?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Word of caution - I found him in the yellow pages and he seemed allright- found out he has been arrested 33 times!

davelloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #2

Roofing Costs

Did you have a written or verbal contract of any sort? Is it required in your state to be licensed and have a permit. As far as insurance he is required to have WC on his employees unless you agreed to pay his helper separate.

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
World famous jerk.

Roofing Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp View Post
. As far as insurance he is required to have WC on his employees unless you agreed to pay his helper separate.
Um.... no. That roofer could well have hired a subcontractor to help him with that roof.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Roofing Costs

In my state a sub-contractor is not n empl;oyee...if you dictate what the worker does, when he shows up, when he gets to leave, etc, he is an employee.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
I blame ProWallGuy

Roofing Costs

It doesn't matter what the people that show up are called. You can refuse to accept liability for his work and workers via a request for proof of general business liability insurance and workers compensation insurance or a waiver from the state agency that controls WC, if any.

You can't however have it both ways. The time to have checked his insurance was before you allowed him to do any work. Most likely you're liable for the work he's performed. This is a great time to get some advice from an attorney. Internet advice is crap for situations like this.

His record of arrests may be beside the point. He might be just keep winding up at the family beach when he's trying to enjoy a day at the nude beach.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #6

Roofing Costs

Thanks for the replies.
The roofer said that: His helper didn't need insurance because he is his brother..That he could say he pays him less than $600.00 a year and doesn't need WC...that he could say that he is an independent contr. and doesn't need ins.
Illinois requires roofers to be licensed and put his license on any bid. Class A misdemeanor - up to $1000.00 fine. I signed his bid to do the work - it contained no lic. number.
davelloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Roofing Costs

a 1000.00 PER OFFENSE, AND EACH DAY IS CONSIDERED A SEPARATE OFFENSE.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #8

Roofing Costs

I assumed a helper was an employee. Sorry. If he is calling him a sub I consider this cheating the system and do not agree with it.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #9

Roofing Costs

if he did work for you, then you need to pay him. you should have checked all the info on him before hand.

RooferJim

RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote