Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

roofing cost

just trying to find out a rough guestimate on how much it will cost to reroof my garage
i measured it out today and its 18.5 feet by 18.5 feet per side
what do i all need?
thanks
awdblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

Cool

roofing cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdblazer View Post
just trying to find out a rough guestimate on how much it will cost to reroof my garage
i measured it out today and its 18.5 feet by 18.5 feet per side
what do i all need?
thanks

Last edited by Don Smith; 03-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Don Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

roofing cost

7.33 sq. Archs.
120' starter strips or 3 bundles of 3 tabs.
1 Bundle hip and ridge.
120' Drip edge.
2 rolls of 15lb felt or 4 rolls of 30lb.
2 rolls of Ice/water shield for Gutter line.
1 box of 1-1/4 coil nails.
1 bucket of button caps.

8.33sq if using 3 tabs for starters and ridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

roofing cost

sorry but what does this mean???
7.33 sq. Archs
Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

roofing cost

Quote:
sorry but what does this mean???
7.33 sq. Archs
Seven and a third squares (100 sq ft) of architectural shingles.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (03-28-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

roofing cost

do you put drip edge on all 6 sides?
i thought for starter shingles you only do one row and if that is the case how do you get 120' of it? i think i just need 37 feet
Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #7

roofing cost

Quote:
do you put drip edge on all 6 sides?
i thought for starter shingles you only do one row and if that is the case how do you get 120' of it? i think i just need 37 feet
Yes you put drip edge all the way around. The starter row will be on the front and back not the sides. I always put alittle bead of caulk in between the joints of the drip edge over lap the drip about 4" the cut you make on the drip edge at the top on the sides cut the right angle because if you cut it to short it's looks like sh##

Last edited by Don Smith; 03-30-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

roofing cost

I always install drip edge on the entire perimeter.The actual footage for your project is 111' but the drip edge should have a lap of 4".So by the time you lap each piece at 4" you have eaten some extra metal.That is why I quoted 120'.After all the drip edge comes in 10' sections.

It has been debated about whether or not to put starters on the rakes/sides.I believe it eventually could contribute to the rotting of your rake line.That depends on your climate.Besides its 18.5' so that is about 6 shingles on each side.Multiply that by 4 and its 24 3-tab shingles and they come in 26 per bundle.So 1 bundle could keep your mind at ease knowing you won't have any possibility of moisture on your rake lines.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #9

roofing cost

wont that create a line the width of the starter strip tho?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
MJW

roofing cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
I always install drip edge on the entire perimeter.The actual footage for your project is 111' but the drip edge should have a lap of 4".
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

roofing cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Come on guys,am I the only one who knows the International Building Codes for roof assemblies? Or the only one who knows the Florida Building Codes?

The metal drip edge installed along the perimeter of a shingle roof must be lapped 4" and have roof cement applied between the two lapped pieces; drip edge nailing must be spaced no more than 4" apart; the lower edge of the metal drip edge must be separated from the wood fascia by 1/2'". FBC 1517.6

Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #12

roofing cost

Quote:
Come on guys,am I the only one who knows the International Building Codes for roof assemblies? Or the only one who knows the Florida Building Codes?

The metal drip edge installed along the perimeter of a shingle roof must be lapped 4" and have roof cement applied between the two lapped pieces; drip edge nailing must be spaced no more than 4" apart; the lower edge of the metal drip edge must be separated from the wood fascia by 1/2'". FBC 1517.6
I nail a 1"x2" all the way around before I put the drip edge on It keeps the wasps for nesting up in there then you can intall a gutter if need be
Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
MJW

roofing cost

Quote:

Which code do you want to use? IBC IRC, FBC, etc.....
I get this comment from a guy clearly in the hail zone area (specified by IRC) that still installs overlays.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
RFN-4A-LVN

roofing cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Which code do you want to use? IBC IRC, FBC, etc.....
I get this comment from a guy clearly in the hail zone area (specified by IRC) that still installs overlays.
I thought the topic was Drip edge? But now that you mention it yes I do recovers.It is allowed to install recovers in the great state of Florida too.Building codes for my area have a 2 layer max.

So all those recovers you won't do send them to me.I will even be civil and give you 20% and still put a 10 year workmanship on it.

Also I have always been decent to you why would you want to try and bust on me?Your reply about the lap of the drip edge as is the reason I mentioned the facts about the correct lap procedure.

I have respected your posts so why try to go there?If you would like to debate then call me @ 417-425-0622 and we can debate.I refuse to be bashed or play the game of ,post,reply,post,reply,post,reply and post.

The OP asked about the amount of material needed for his project I responded in a professional manner giving him knowledge and sound verifiable advice pertaining to his post.All this other junk is pointless to the OP.

And it states in my signature below that I will do recovers so no deceit here.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-30-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
MJW

roofing cost

Here's another one for ya..

R905.2.8.6 Drip edge.

Provide drip edge at eaves and gables of shingle roofs. Overlap to be a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm). Eave drip edges shall extend inch (13 mm) below sheathing and extend back on the roof a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm). Drip edge at eaves shall be permitted to be installed either over or under the underlayment. If installed over the underlayment, there shall be a minimum 4 inch (102 mm) width of roof cement installed over the drip edge flange. Drip edge shall be mechanically fastened a maximum of 12 inches (305 mm) on center. Where the basic wind speed per Figure R301.2(4) is 110 mph (177 km/h) or greater or the mean roof height exceeds 33 feet (10 058 mm), drip edges shall be mechanically fastened a maximum of 4 inches (102 mm) on center.

Like I said, which code do you want to use?
You can come up here and try to do an overlay, but the code won't allow. I'm surprised you get away with it in Missouri.

As for the drip edge. I haven't seen a code on reroofs. New construction yes, but nothing about a reroof or remodel.