Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Roofing cabin with cedar shingles

Heading up to put a new cedar shingle roof on a cabin, 10 squares approx. Wanted to ask a few ?s as this will be my first experience with cedar shingles. I am using machined 16".

I was planning on using I/W barrier over decking, should I then use the cedar breather and #30 felt? or skip the breather?

The roof is a 4/12 with one ridge and a chimney. The flashing looks good. So it "seems" like a straightforward project. Any advice or tips that I should consider in advance?

What is the best way to begin the shingle starter course?

Thanks in advance!

skolfoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolfoppa View Post
What is the best way to begin the shingle starter course?
Seriously, you need to order the installation manual from the Cedar Bereau and its free.

4/12 for cedar perfections is mightly low of a pitch and they will be curling prematurely and Not be a 50 year roof, especially if you live in a 4 season environment.

Also, Cedar Breather is a Must and No to the felt paper if you I & W the entire deck.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Ed. Manual is in hand. I've spoken with five different roofers and each one has offered slightly different opinions on how they would do the job. I just want it done right.

So the best way is to cover the deck with IW and a cedar breather and skip the felt all together? It is a four season environment on the north shore of Lake Superior.
skolfoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolfoppa View Post
Thanks Ed. Manual is in hand. I've spoken with five different roofers and each one has offered slightly different opinions on how they would do the job. I just want it done right.

So the best way is to cover the deck with IW and a cedar breather and skip the felt all together? It is a four season environment on the north shore of Lake Superior.
OUCH!!!

I remember being up there on a vacation as a kid visiting my Aunt and Uncles Farm in Iron River.

May Flies the size of birds and they bit like crazy.

Yeah, since you are in the 100" + Snow Belt area, the I & W 100 % for sure.

The Cedar Breather OR installing the Cedar on battens, verical and horizontal, would also provide the under cedar breathing to keep the capable of drying out.

There should be a diagram of that in the manual as well.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote