Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |

Roofing Best Practices

Hi. I have a large ranch home, very well built in 1980, and in the process of hiring a roofer. I'm looking for advice as to what I want for product and features.

I've noticed that some shingles over the garage have started turning and have found a couple shingles on the ground now that winter is over. (I live in the cold north east.) They are NOT architectural shingles.

Venting: there are large soffits around the house but (according to one roofer) there is not much in the way of ventilation. There is a large (i'm not sure what you call it) but a whole in the roof with a wood box (and ya know, like a compass wind direction thing.) That sits over the garage on one end of the home---the attic is extends over the garage. There is no ridge vent.

SOO... here are my questions---i want the "how to do it right" answer.

1.) One roofer is recommending Turbine Vents throughout the backside of the roof. What's the best options for me in terms of ventilation?

2.) What's the best brand/option for shingles (again in windy and cold climate---north east, lots of open fields around me.)

3.) Besides weatherLock, what else should I ask to have done?

Thanks so much!!! (I've attached a photo of the home.)
Attached Images

ryandunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Roofing Best Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandunlap View Post
Hi. I have a large ranch home, very well built in 1980, and in the process of hiring a roofer. I'm looking for advice as to what I want for product and features.

I've noticed that some shingles over the garage have started turning and have found a couple shingles on the ground now that winter is over. (I live in the cold north east.) They are NOT architectural shingles.

Venting: there are large soffits around the house but (according to one roofer) there is not much in the way of ventilation. There is a large (i'm not sure what you call it) but a whole in the roof with a wood box (and ya know, like a compass wind direction thing.) That sits over the garage on one end of the home---the attic is extends over the garage. There is no ridge vent.

1.) One roofer is recommending Turbine Vents throughout the backside of the roof. What's the best options for me in terms of ventilation?

Ridge event is (arguably) the best exhaust ventilation to have on your roof. The majority of roofers sale ridge vents in today's market.
Intake ventilation in your overhangs/eaves is and absolute must,
I do not believe any roofer will argue that.

Unobstructed flow is equally as important, meaning air can freely enter the intake and travel to the exhaust.

2.) What's the best brand/option for shingles (again in windy and cold climate---north east, lots of open fields around me.)

You ask 10 roofers this question and your going to get no less than 4 or 5 different answers. GAF/Elk, Owens Corning, Tamko and Certainteed are the top of the list here in my area, with IKO and Atlas selling on a smaller scale.
Only advice I can really give there is to hire the local roofing contractor you find/feel to be most trust worthy & qualified and follow his/her recommendation.

Check the interior of your roof sheathing for mold.
Determine if existing flashing's (eave & rake, walls, valleys, etc.) will be replaced or reused.
Whats the condition of your gutters, poorly performing gutters can and often do cause roof leak issues.

BTW, 1980 to 2010 = 30 years out of your existing non dimensional shingles, that's good by any ones standards.
You attempt to locate the original roofers?

Last edited by Slyfox; 05-02-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Totally screwed together

Roofing Best Practices

Turbines are cheap and ugly, and they will fail over time. A ridge vent has no moving parts, other than natural convection.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Roofing Best Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandunlap View Post

Sly and Paul have about covered it. Soffit and ridge vent good. Turbine vents bad (they work 'til the bearings fail and they're not pretty). If there's a choice between accomplishing the same goal with moving parts vs no moving parts, KISS.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Roofing Best Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPaulCPxx View Post
Turbines are cheap and ugly, and they will fail over time. A ridge vent has no moving parts, other than natural convection.
Lack of BT activity is driving a bunch of us over here. How goes it?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Totally screwed together

Roofing Best Practices

Good, a little annoyed they are a little prissy here about Contractor Talk, similar to JLC.

Just widening my net a little
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Roofing Best Practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPaulCPxx View Post
Good, a little annoyed they are a little prissy here about Contractor Talk, similar to JLC.

Just widening my net a little
Well, a lot of the good guys at CT stop in here on a regular basis. You kind of fit in a gray area - not a contractor (IIRC), but way more experienced and knowledgeable than the average homeowner. Good to see you.

Tags
roof, ventilation